TWU’s student-run newspaper wins big at TIPA
Apr. 23, 2020 — DENTON — Although students working at TWU’s student-run newspaper, The Lasso, were unable to attend the annual Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) conference, the pandemic did not stop them from winning 14 awards!
“I’m incredibly proud of our student staff and am happy to see their hard work recognized,” said Joseph Alderman, who serves as advisor to The Lasso.
Student awards from the 2020 TIPA contest for previously published work include the following:
- Critical Review: 2nd Place, Amber Gaudet “Emelie’s Defense…”
- General Column: 3rd Place, Plamedie Ifasso, “Black People…Amber Guyger”
- In-Depth Reporting: 1st Place, Amber Gaudet and Garrett Gantt, “Residents Raise Concerns…Parliament Village”
- Photography, Environmental Portrait: 2nd Place, Sarah Pham, “Skyler Martin…”
- Illustration: Honorable Mention, Angelica Monsour, “Greta Thunberg”
- Infographic: 1st & 3rd Place, Anissa Clark, “Streaming Services” & “Impeachment”; Honorable Mention, Angelica Monsour, “Safe Commuter Parking”
- Opinion/Editorial Page Design: 3rd Place, Layout Team, “August 2019 Issue”
- Overall Website Design: 3rd Place, Amber Gaudet
- Print Special Edition Design: 2nd Place, Layout Team, “Halloween 2019 Issue”
- Sports Page Design: 3rd Place, Anissa Clark and Madeline Boutwell, “April 2019 Issue”
- Static Ad Design: 1st Place, Amber Gaudet, “Celebrating The Lasso’s Legacy”
- Overall Excellence/Newspaper: 3rd Place
TWU’s student newspaper has been written for and produced by students since 1914 and has chronicled important milestones throughout the university’s history. For many decades The Lasso was a daily publication but became a weekly publication in the 1980s. More recently, the newspaper has focused on digital media delivery.
Notable past editors include Caro Crawford Brown (’28), the first female journalist to receive a Pulitzer Prize for local reporting, and Stacie Walker (’91), an award-winning national news editor for Newsday.
Page last updated 8:34 AM, April 24, 2020