TWU students win big at TIPA
Mar. 29, 2022 — DENTON — Student staff of The Lasso Newspaper at Texas Woman’s University were recognized by the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) for work produced during 2021, tying their previous record of 17 awards for previously published materials.
The 2022 Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Convention occurred March 23-26 in Fort Worth. While members of The Lasso were unable to attend in person, content previously published by The Lasso throughout 2021 was eligible for recognition by members of TIPA and voted on by student media advisers from various Texas colleges and universities.
Lasso staff members were recognized in the following categories in Division 4:
- Breaking News: First place, Amber Gaudet, “Lowry residents displaced amid water leaks, broken sprinklers caused by Winter Storm Uri”
- Critical Review: First Place, Maddie Ray, “The emotional, muddy waters of Kanye West's ‘Donda’"
- Critical Review: Honorable Mention, Deanna West, “Hot N' Cole delivers laughs, style in outdoor production”
- General News: First Place, Maddie Ray, “Walkouts at Guyer High school address school and district responses to sexual assault”
- Sports Column: Third Place, Gakenia Njenga, “Fit & Rec to establish esports, video game programming”
- Sports Game Story: First Place, Deanna West, “Gymnastics finishes fourth in season closer”
- Environmental Portrait: Second Place, Sarah Pham, “TWU Wind Symphony adds theatrical aspects to concert”
- General News Photo: Third Place, Sarah Pham, “TWU Panhellenic Council moves recruitment weekend from virtual to hybrid”
- General News Photo: Honorable Mention, Sarah Pham, “TWU's CARE office helps student parents with food insecurity”
- Illustration: First Place, Stephanie Vo, “Little Chapel in the Woods wins Architectural Landmark Award”
- Illustration: Honorable Mention, Stephanie Vo, “The Tale of the Hooded Bride”
- Sports Action Photo: Second Place, Sarah Pham, “New STUNT team navigates their way through their first year”
- Overall Design, Website: Third Place, twulasso.com
The following award was recognized in Division 3:
- Special Edition Design, Print: Honorable Mention, The Daedalian 2021
The following awards were recognized in open division:
- Cover Design, Literary Magazine: Second Place, Angelica Monsour, The Daedalian 2021
- Overall Design, Literary Magazine: First Place, Daedalian editorial staff, The Daedalian 2021
- Overall Excellence, Literary Magazine: First Place, The Daedalian editorial staff, The Daedalian 2021
The editorial staff of the 2021 Daedalian consisted of Katelyn Garst, Amber Gaudet and Gakenia Njenga, with layout and design by Anissa Clark and Angelica Monsour. In the reviewers’ comments of the awards, The Daedalian was specifically recognized for the connection of design elements with the overall theme.
“This is a beautiful issue,” the reviewer said. “Themes and tone are cohesive and complementary, both vulnerable and accessible. The repetition of the progress theme in particular is meaningful for this issue.”
The Lasso Newspaper publishes weekly online at www.twulasso.com, and print issues are released monthly during the fall and spring semesters. The Daedalian is currently in production for release in April 2022.
Page last updated 3:47 PM, March 29, 2022