Travel Information

Travel on grants must comply with the TWU travel regulations unless superseded by funding agency guidelines. Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) forms, Air Travel Authorization (ATA) forms, and travel vouchers must be signed by Research and Sponsored Programs. Federal grants must use General Services Administration per diem rates. Other TWU travel rates and information can be found on the TWU Procurement travel website.

Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) Form

Complete the Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) and obtain the required signatures PRIOR to traveling. This form must be submitted with the Travel Voucher when applying for reimbursement. For grants, the required signatures include the traveler, the supervisor, the account holder (if different), and ORSP. Travel to any foreign country other than Canada or Mexico requires authorization from the Provost and the Chancellor at least 30-days prior to departure.


Registration fees may be purchased either by the traveler directly and then reimbursed through the travel voucher system or may be purchased by the traveler or departmental staff using a TWU purchasing card and charged directly to the grant account. All registration fees are paid from the M&O category.


Airfare may also be purchased directly by the traveler and then reimbursed through the travel voucher system or may be purchased by the traveler or departmental staff using a TWU travel card and charged directly to the grant account. If using the TWU travel card, an Air Travel Authorization (ATA) form must be completed and signed BEFORE the airfare is booked. Note that the air card may only be used to purchase airfare for employees, prospective employees or TWU students traveling for University sanctioned activities. Guest Lecturers or Performers airfare cannot be purchased using the air card.

More detailed information about TWU procedures for purchasing airfare


Employees who want to claim mileage for driving personal vehicles within the State of Texas have these options:

  1. use Google Maps internet mapping service, or
  2. keep a log of odometer readings from the traveler’s vehicle that includes dates of travel and point to point locations and submit the Mileage Log with the travel voucher.

More details about mileage reimbursement including out-of-state travel

Travel Voucher

After returning from the trip, the Travel Voucher must be prepared to request reimbursement. Make sure to avoid the most common reasons for delay in processing travel vouchers. Travel claims (vouchers) must be submitted within 60 days of the last day of travel to receive reimbursement. Any travel submitted beyond 60 days from the last day of travel will not be reimbursed. Recurring mileage (such as site visits, clinical supervision, etc) should be claimed monthly on an RTA created specifically for that month.

Page last updated 12:12 PM, May 22, 2018