Concert Band Auditions
How to Audition
We hold concert band auditions the week before each semester begins. Please arrange to be on campus the week before your first day of classes.
Step 1: Sign Up for Your Audition
- Sign up for an audition time through Sign Up Genius.
- Times are broken down by instrument so READ the sign up carefully.
- Include your GIVEN NAME.
- If you are unable to audition in your instrument's time block, please sign up as close to it as you can, and note your instrument in the "My Comment" section of your signup so your audition can be scored with the correct section.
- For FLUTES, CLARINETS and SAXES...please note in the "My Comment" section whether you are auditioning on flute or piccolo; clarinet or bass clarinet; alto, tenor or bari sax. You can audition on multiple voices, just sign up for a different slot for each voice you wish to audition.
Step 2: Prepare for Your Audition
- Please complete the online TWU Bands Audition Form (Google form) before you arrive for your scheduled audition.
- Please prepare all of the required excerpts for your instrument.
- A faculty panel will be hearing your audition, and they won't be able to see you.
- You will also be asked to perform 2-3 major scales (as much range as possible), determined by the audition panel, and there will also be a short sight-reading excerpt. You will have one minute to peruse before performing the excerpt.
- Due to time constraints, the audition panel may stop you at any point in the audition, once they feel they have heard enough to make an appropriate assessment. Please do not be offended. This simply streamlines the process.
- Auditions will be held August 22-24 in the New Rehearsal Hall in the old Undergraduate Laboratory Building. For those new to TWU or unfamiliar with this location, directions will be posted in the main lobby of the music building (Margo Jones Performance Hall).
- Please plan to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled audition time.
All audition excerpts for each instrument are available in pdf format below. Music will be provided at the audition, or you may bring your own copy.
- Alto Sax
- Bari Sax
- Bass Clarinet
- Bass Trombone
- Tenor Sax
- Tenor Trombone
After the Audition
Audition results will be posted by the end of the day Sunday, August 25. The music office will handle all necessary schedule changes resulting from band placements during the first week of classes.
There are currently two concert bands at TWU. All bands are open to all students at the university. No auditions are necessary for the University Band (unless you are a music major). Once you audition, you will be placed in the best group for you.
scroll to see the full table⇨
|Band||Course Number||Meeting Time|
|Wind Symphony||MU 3541
|University Band||MU 3611||Monday/Wednesday
Page last updated 9:06 AM, August 5, 2019