The purpose of this program is to foster greater economic development activity in Texas by encouraging and enabling woman-owned small businesses to undertake new and innovative projects. A total of $125,000 (25 grant awards) is available for this round of funding.
Who can apply?*
Eligible businesses must satisfy all of the following conditions:
- Existing or to-be-formed woman-owned businesses (at least 51% directly owned and controlled by one or more women who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents) with five or fewer employees may apply.
- The business must be a for-profit corporation, partnership, LLP, LLC, or sole proprietorship. Non Profit Organizations (501(c)3 & 501(c)6 ) are not eligible.
- If the business or business owner owns the premises from which the business operates, all property taxes must be current.
- All sales, payroll, and other taxes must be current.
- Business owner(s), must not have any felonies or conviction of a crime of dishonesty or breach of trust.
- The business, business owner, and applicant must not be involved in any pending or current litigation.
- The business, business owner, and applicant are operating with all required permits and licenses and are conforming to all required laws.
*TWU faculty/staff (or immediate household members) students, trustees, advisory committee members and past grant recipients are not eligible to apply.
What can the funds be used for?
- Purchase of machinery, equipment or technology.
- Addition or acquisition of new inventory or raw materials.
- Purchase and installation of merchandising fixtures and display units.
- Property improvements that will result in additional business.
- Marketing, advertising and social media campaigns.
- Any other business-related activity that CWE deems is aligned with the stated purpose of this program.
- Sales tax, wages, salaries or compensation of any kind are explicitly ineligible activities under this program and will not be funded.
What will need to be uploaded to the grant application:
- Proof of 51% woman-owned documentation – cannot be business name only
- One PDF with the Company Background and Project Information below (best to just copy this information and answer each question) and backup documentation for all expenses that could include proposals from a vendor, quotes or estimates, pictures from Amazon, preliminary invoices, etc.:
- a brief narrative describing the company’s history
- a description of the company’s current operations including products, markets, etc.
- a description of the company’s current operating facilities – both owned and leased
- a summary of the company’s current full and part-time employment
- a description of the company’s need to undertake the proposed project
- a project narrative
- a budget for the project, including project costs and sources of funds
- physical description of the proposed project, including any business or residential relocation which may result from the undertaking of the project
- will this project result in new employment? If so, please describe what positions these would be.
- how will your project contribute to the economy of Texas?
What are the grant requirements?
- Awardees will receive an initial $2,500 upon signing a grant agreement. The second half of the grant award ($2,500) will be disbursed following satisfactory completion of a small business training course hosted by the CWE, 3 hours of small business advising and submission and approval of a completed business plan.
- Funds must be matched by a minimum of 10% ($500) owner investment (cash, property or equipment). The investment must not be associated with debt of any kind and must be committed and available to the project at the time of the grant application.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online portal and must be submitted by 5:00 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022. Revisions are not permitted following submission. Applications received after 5:00 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 22, will be automatically rejected.
- All questions must be answered and all required information and documentation must be included; when submitting an application, the applicant must attach back-up documentation for all expenses (for example: proposals from a vendor, quotes or estimates, pictures from Amazon, preliminary invoices, etc.). Incomplete and second applications will be automatically rejected.
After you’ve been awarded:
- The successful applicant will receive two installments of the award:
- $2,500 upon being awarded and signing of the grant agreement.
- $2,500 following completion of a small business training course hosted by the Center for Women Entrepreneurs, 3 hours of small business advising/mentoring and submission and approval of a completed business plan. Additionally, itemized receipts or proof of purchases made with initial grant funds of $2,500 (costs must have been incurred after receiving grant funding) must be provided to CWE to receive the remaining $2,500.
- You need to meet with CWE staff to talk over the grant specifics and ask any questions you have.
- You must attend an approved small business training course and complete 3 hours of small business advising or mentoring. You cannot access your remaining funds until AFTER these have been completed.
Video 2021 StartHER Grant Guidelines
Tracy Irby, Director
Page last updated 3:16 PM, September 13, 2022