Apply to the BSN or RN-BSN Program
Requirements for Admission
Admission into the upper-division nursing program is considered once you have successfully completed (and transferred, if applicable) 25 semester hours of nursing core prerequisites. In addition, all applicants must:
- Have a prerequisite GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Score 64% or higher on all section of the Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS);
- (For those seeking their first bachelor's degree) completed a minimum of 46 semester hours of prerequisites.
Only students accepted to the College of Nursing may enroll in upper-division nursing courses. Class space in nursing courses is limited and admission to the College of Nursing is competitive. Admission to upper-division nursing courses is based on:
- Grade point averages for prerequisite coursework
- Admission assessment test scores
- Faculty's evaluation of all responses submitted to all sections of the admissions application, including short answers to questions posed to applicants about their leadership experiences and self-assessment of their personal traits of caring/compassion and resilience.
Preferential consideration will be given to students who have completed 32 or more semester credit hours of the required non-nursing lower-division courses at TWU (16 for those with a prior bachelor's degree) by the application deadline and to students with a prior degree.
How to Apply
All applicants to the upper-division nursing program must first be current TWU students. Not a current TWU student? You’ll need to apply at least six weeks prior to College of Nursing application deadlines.
Once a student, follow these steps:
- Create an account in NursingCAS (NursingCAS Tutorial).
- Complete the application inside NursingCAS by answering all the questions and submitting all necessary documents (). Submit the application fee.
- Texas Woman’s University requires that each applicant upload the TEAS Admission Assessment Exam Cumulative Report to NursingCAS. If you have previously been enrolled in a clinical nursing program at another institution you are required to provide and upload to NursingCAS a Letter of Good Standing from the dean/director of your previous nursing program. Failure to provide these documents will disqualify you from applying to this program. See Guide to TEAS for prospective nursing students.
- Criminal background checks are required for all applicants to our nursing programs. A clear background check is required in order to secure placement for students in a clinical setting. This agreement is in the form of a Clinical Affiliation Agreement (CAA) that is a legal contractual agreement between the TWU College of Nursing and any clinical partner. Our clinical partners require our attestation that students have a clear background check of any felony and/or misdemeanor or conviction other than minor traffic violations. Admission may be denied based upon the final criminal background check review.
Find detailed instructions here for initiating your background check. Within the instructions, please choose the XA12bg Dallas campus code or the XA17bg Houston campus code, depending on which campus you are applying to.
Please attend to this expediently to avoid delays in the program admission and course registration as this process may take 3-4 weeks to complete.
We’ll process completed applications once we receive them from NursingCAS, but we won’t determine admission status until after the deadline has passed. Any and all contact, including acceptance or denial, will be sent through NursingCAS.
Application Deadlines - Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
scroll to see the full table⇨
|Dallas and Houston Centers|
|NursingCAS opens||October 15||May 15|
|ApplyTexas application opens||July 1||July 1|
|Preferred ApplyTexas deadline||4-6 weeks before NursingCAS application|
|*Must be admitted as a TWU student before submitting NursingCAS application|
|NursingCAS & ATI TEAS deadline||February 1||August 15|
|First class day||August||January|
|Mandatory orientation for admitted students||First Friday in May||First Friday in December|