Founded in 1901 as the state’s only public university dedicated to the education of women, Texas Woman’s University has grown, prospered, and advanced in bold ways. It pioneered distance education; expanded undergraduate and graduate programs; extended its reach by adding campuses in Dallas and Houston and admitting men; and broke new ground in areas ranging from pedagogy and research to the creative arts.
Today, Texas Woman’s has a statewide impact of more than $1.8 billion, 90% of which is attributed to the contributions of its extensive network of alumni.
While committed to inclusion, Texas Woman’s maintains an intentional focus on the contributions that women bring to all facets of human endeavor, from corporate boardrooms and virtual classrooms to intensive care units, senate chambers, research laboratories, performance halls, and community outreach centers. Through the contributions of alumni, faculty, and staff, the university aspires to address the needs of a changing world and a highly diverse student body.
Building on the areas of distinction while pursuing a clear purpose, mission, and vision, this plan sets bold objectives within its imperatives. By achieving these objectives within its five-year scope, through the outcomes of the initiatives, this plan will propel Texas Woman’s toward further excellence—advancing the quality of the human experience, honoring diverse people and perspectives, and pioneering discovery in areas vital to the wellbeing of Texans.
Educate a woman, empower the world.
Texas Woman’s University cultivates engaged leaders and global citizens by leveraging its historical strengths in health, liberal arts, and education and its standing as the nation’s largest public university primarily for women. Committed to transformational learning, discovery, and service in an inclusive environment that embraces diversity, Texas Woman’s inspires excellence and a pioneering spirit.
Texas Woman’s will be known as the premier public university for a woman-focused education and leadership development, graduating thriving citizens who have a strong sense of community, health, prosperity, and a sense of purpose.
Fundamental to who we are and what drives our actions
HEALTH & WELLBEING
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
Guiding principles that emerge from Texas Woman’s history and frame its future
- The growth of students is nurtured in a safe environment that fosters personal connections, resiliency, and a philosophy of education as a lifelong process.
- Our commitment to excellence and integrity permeates all that we do.
- Diversity and collaboration are fundamental to our academic culture of innovation, research, and creative expression.
- Liberal arts develop the whole person, inspire inquiry, encourage application, and cultivate success in careers and graduate education.
- Graduate education provides opportunities for individual advancement and develops professionals to serve society at large.
- People and cutting-edge technology drive the discovery and creative expression that fuel our educational enterprise.