Our office will design workshops, on request, on topics related to teaching and learning using technology. In addition, we offer regularly scheduled training on a wide range of teaching and learning issues.
Call for Proposals for the 14th Annual Teaching and Learning Symposium
The 14th Annual Teaching and Learning Symposium will be Thursday, August 22, 2019 from 8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. in Denton, and the Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology invites you to present! Our office is looking for presentations that feature successful teaching and learning with TWU’s classroom technologies, online technologies, or Canvas.
About the Presentations and Proposal Form
- Sessions will be 30 minutes, including time for Q & A
- Each presentation room will be furnished with a screen, projector, and PC presentation station or laptop.
- The proposal submission form will ask for: information for all presenters, additional technology needs, presentation title and a 50-word presentation abstract.
- The deadline to submit your proposal is Friday, June 14, at 11:45 p.m.
- Presenting is a great way to brag about what you are doing in your courses.
- Presenting looks great on your résumé and vitae!
- Someone will learn from your experience – no matter how long you have been teaching.
Training Access and Registration
Training will be offered in face-to-face (F2F) and online formats. Registration is required for face-to-face training because space is limited. There will be a registration link below each offering if registration is required. Registration will close the day before each training date or when the training is full.
Basic Canvas Course Design
This interactive workshop introduces instructors to the foundations of Canvas.
Part 1 of the course covers the Dashboard, including navigation, Courses, Calendar, Inbox, navigation, Account settings and notifications.
Part 2 introduces Canvas courses and reviews Home, Syllabus, adding course materials and course organization.
- August 21 | 10 – 11:30 a.m. | Online (Registration is not required.)
- August 21 | 1 – 2:30 p.m. | Dallas, Room TBD
- August 26 | 12 – 1:30 p.m. | Houston, Room 4115
- August 27 | 1 – 2:30 p.m. | Denton, Room TBD
Canvas Collaborative Space Workshop
This workshop introduces faculty and staff to the Canvas Collaborative Space. The Collaborative Space is used to interact with students registered in your academic programs. Procedures and tips are presented for updating materials, adding and removing students, sending messages, and working with groups.
- July 22 | 12 – 1 p.m. | Houston, Room 4115
- July 25 | 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. | Dallas, Room 6500
- July 30 | 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. | ASB, Room 105
- August 21 | 12 – 1 p.m. | Denton, Room TBD
- August 21 | 10 – 11 a.m. | Dallas, Room TBD
- August 23 | 12 – 1 p.m. | Online (Registration is not required.)
- August 27 | 12 – 1 p.m. | Houston, Room 4115
Canvas for GAs
This is a self-paced online course for GAs to get started using Canvas. Course objectives include creating announcements, understanding assignment settings, grading with Grades and SpeedGrader, and using Attendance features. Any GA can register and complete this training on request.
Canvas Progress: Creating Dynamic Instructional Materials
This workshop features a Canvas course whose looks are changed in an effort to enhance the ease of use and transform the student experience. This is accomplished using the "Extreme Team" of Canvas features to organize and format content, embedding images, linking to videos, inserting course files and following several universal design practices.
October 22 | 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. | Dallas, Room TBD
Canvas Progress: Measure Student Learning Outcomes
This interactive workshop works with instructors to create SMART learning objectives, identify ways to assess student's learning experience, and efficiently record grades. It is designed for intermediate to advanced Canvas users.
October 16 | 9 – 10 a.m. | Denton, Room TBD
Canvas Progress: Quizzes and Rubrics
This interactive workshop teaches instructors how to use rubrics and outcomes to provide student feedback. There is also a hands-on training for creating assessments that align with learning objectives. It is designed for intermediate to advanced Canvas users.
October 7 | 12 – 1 p.m. | Houston, Room 4115
Canvas Progress: Student Engagement
This interactive workshop teaches instructors about managing online discussion groups and engaging students in effective group learning activities, whether through Problem based learning, Team based learning, or Flipped learning models. It is designed for intermediate to advanced Canvas users.
October 2 | 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. | Denton, Room TBD
Canvas Progress: Using Analytics to Inform Instruction
This interactive workshop demonstrates the analytic capabilities of Canvas, and allows instructors to practice using rubrics, outcomes, data, and analytics to inform instructional decisions. It is designed for intermediate to advanced Canvas users.
November 7 | 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. | Denton, Room TBD
Canvas Progress: Using Multimedia and Videos
This interactive workshop is designed to explore the pedagogy of interactive content and learn how to create accessible, interactive multimedia content in courses using Canvas and Panopto tools. It is designed for intermediate to advanced Canvas users.
October 7 | 12 – 1:30 p.m. | Dallas, Room TBD
Classroom Technology Workshop
This workshop allows you to operate the classroom podium equipment including audio and video settings, the projector, the document camera, and how to connect portable devices. Watch your classroom activities come to life in this interactive session.
- August 27 | 10 – 11 a.m. | Denton, Room TBD
- August 28 | 1 – 2 p.m. | Denton, Room TBD
Communicating with Students in Canvas
In this interactive workshop, faculty and staff work with Canvas features to improve student communication. We will explore profiles, notifications, calendar, collaboration tools, announcements, inbox, and group homepages. We will look at the Canvas Student and Teacher apps as well as Help Desk and FAQ items.
- September 23 | 12 – 1 p.m. | Houston, Room 4115
- September 23 | 12 – 1 p.m. | Dallas, Room TBD
- September 24 | 1 – 2 p.m. | Denton, Room TBD
- September 25 | 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. | Online (Registration is not required.)
Instructional Design in Canvas
This interactive workshop involves more advanced skills in Canvas. Topics include: cross listed/merged courses, starting with templates from the Commons, and course management. Several ways to partner with an instructional designer are discussed and a timeline is outlined to complete and review your course design.
- August 29 | 9:30 – 11 a.m. | Denton, Room TBD
- September 5 | 9:30 – 11 a.m. | Online (Registration is not required.)
- September 9 | 12 – 1:30 p.m. | Houston, Room 4115
- September 9 | 1 – 2:30 p.m. | Dallas, Room TBD
Online Training Through Canvas
Online Training Through Canvas offers instructor training webinars. There are over 30 different topics that you can attend online. Sessions are interactive, allow some hands-on experience, and are taught by Canvas trainers. These sessions will allow you to go into greater depth on a variety of topics and trainers will answer a number of questions in the sessions.
The Faculty Academy is a venue for new online instructors to learn about course design, develop relationships with instructional designers, and become acquainted with current strategies being used online by TWU colleagues. Learn more about the Faculty Academy.
Pioneer Teaching and Learning Academy
The purpose of the Pioneer Teaching and Learning Academy (PTLA) is to provide expert peer support and a forum for growth/enhancement in teaching and learning. Learn more about the Pioneer Teaching and Learning Academy
Page last updated 12:58 PM, May 16, 2019