Applying for Certification

To be recommended for certification by Texas Woman’s University, you must achieve the following:

  • Graduation (both undergraduate and graduate students) and successful completion of the Educator Preparation Program
  • Post-baccalaureate students must complete all course work required by the educator preparation program
  • Passing scores on all applicable TExES exams, determined by the subject and/or grade level of the certification sought
  • Student Teaching or internship

It is your responsibility to initiate the application for teacher certification to TEA.

How to apply for your certificate

Apply for your certificate after you have completed all certification requirements, including your certification exams.  At the end of the application process, you will be required to respond to an exit survey that pertains to your experience as a student in TWU's educator preparation program. 

  • Apply online through the TEA website. Click on Educator login and enter your username and password.
    You will apply for a standard Texas certificate, and be sure to designate Texas Woman’s University as your recommending institution. No paper applications are accepted.
  • Submit fingerprints to the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) and Texas Education Agency (TEA) so that a national criminal background check can be conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

TWU will complete the recommendation process only after all requirements are completed. Grades must be posted and graduation must be confirmed by the Registrar’s Office or the Graduate School.

After TWU recommends acceptance of your application for certification, TEA issues the certificate. Once you are certified, you may take TExES exams in other teaching fields to add other certificates to your credentials. You’ll no longer need authorization from TWU.

Where Can I Teach? Out-of-State-Licensure

Although Texas Woman's University's Educator Preparation Program is an accredited program in Texas, licensing or certification is a function of each state. Individual states may have a specific requirement that is not a requirement in Texas, or they may require additional state or national testing.

Students who are contemplating teaching in a state other than Texas must apply for licensure in that specific state.

How to Contact other States

Visit for a list of state licensing agencies with addresses, telephone numbers, and websites. You may call, email, or write the state office to request your application for licensure.

Page last updated 8:39 AM, August 1, 2017