Student Travel Guidelines
- All applications for student travel funds shall be reviewed by the Student Travel Fund Committee. The committee includes faculty, staff and one undergraduate and one graduate student that will be recommended by the Student Government Association (SGA) and be appointed by the Vice President for Student Life. This committee will report to the Vice President for Student Life, as well.
- The committee will review and make allocations in keeping within these guidelines and funds availability. Applications that are incomplete, not typed or have errors, will be returned to the student for possible resubmission.
- The Student Travel Fund Committee will meet four (4) times a year to review applications.
- Applications and the completion of travel must be made within the same fiscal year (September 1 through August 31). Students are allowed to apply for funds before or after travel has been completed. See form above.
- The deadline for each funding period is noted on the Student Travel Fund Application form, TWU's Intranet introduction page, Pioneer Portal plus Faculty/staff and academic departments.
- Applications must be received by Beth Lewis, located in Jones Hall, 3rd Floor or PO Box 425380, Denton, TX 76204, by 5:00 p.m. on the date of the published deadline. The deadline date is final.
- All student travel must be demonstrated to be beneficial to the University. A student must be enrolled at the university at the time of the application and at the time of the trip.
- An effort shall be made to achieve balance in the allocation of student travel funds among graduate students, undergraduate students and the various components.
- Applications for student travel funds shall be initiated by the student with proper endorsement at all appropriate administrative levels before being submitted to the Student Travel Committee. (See attached checklist.)
- Applications must be typed. Twenty (20) copies must be submitted to the Student Travel Committee.
- The director, chair or dean of the department may initiate the request in the event that it is impossible to identify in advance students who will be participating in a conference.
- Reimbursement will be made on the basis of the submission of receipts and a copy of the award letter signed by the Chair of the Student Travel Fund Committee. Funds expended that exceed the amount awarded to the student will not be reimbursed.
- A student can only be funded for one trip per fiscal year. (September through August.)
- Funds available for travel from other sources (i.e., grants, scholarships, departments, etc.) must be disclosed on application in the section provided for estimated expenses.
Student Travel Fund
Priority Guideline Categories
- Paper, poster or artistic presentation by students at international, national, and regional meetings with preference being given to students who are senior authors.
- Program/panel presentation by students at international, national, and regional meetings.
- Attendance by TWU students at international, national, or regional meetings where students hold office or have been selected to receive honors of international, national, or regional meetings of professional associations.
- Required attendance by TWU student representatives at international, national, or regional meetings of professional associations.
- Attendance by students at professional meetings where merit has been demonstrated.
- Travel related to specialized study programs of students. However, this does not include Study Abroad courses and specialized training courses.
Procedure for Claiming Travel Funds
In order to claim student travel funds, the student must:
- Apply and receive notification of award of funds through the procedure as described in the Student Travel Guidelines.
- Complete travel and save all receipts.
- Present award letter together with all receipts for expenses within two weeks following travel to: Beth Lewis, PO Box 425380, Denton, TX 76204 or Jones Hall, 3rd Floor. Otherwise, award may be disbursed to other applicants. Please Note: Reimbursement of funds and completion of travel must be completed within the same fiscal year (September 1 through August 31).
- Reimbursement will be made on the basis of the submission of receipts, not to exceed the amount awarded. Total expenses should be identified.
- If the amount allocated by the Student Travel Fund Committee is less than the actual amount expended, the traveler will be responsible for the excess amount.
- Once the expenses have been verified expenses and the amount awarded, a check will be requested from the University Controller's Office and will be mailed to the recipient.
For more information regarding student travel guidelines contact Beth Lewis at 940-898-3565.
Page last updated 9:58 AM, October 3, 2018