Spring 2021 Orientation
Orientation Opportunities for Spring 2021
- Orientation for International Students
Wednesday, January 6th, 2021; 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon. This special orientation will be offered virtually, with each new student emailed the link for the Google Meeting. Please NOTE: International Students will be expected to attend both this mandatory orientation plus the general orientation (also offered through an online format).
- ALL OTHER STUDENTS (at both the undergraduate and graduate levels) will be invited to participate in an orientation available through Google Classroom. New incoming Spring 2021 Students will be sent a link to view the materials at a time of their choosing. Additionally, links to several live Q & A sessions will be emailed to those same students, giving newcomers the opportunity to hear from different departments at the Houston via Google Meet. These live sessions will be held throughout the first week in January – from the 4th through the 9th. You will have the opportunity to ask questions of several of the presenters. Sessions will vary in time from 6p – 7p some evenings, and 12 noon – 1p during several of the days.
Tasks to consider before the initial day of classes include:
- pay tuition and class fees by 6:00 p.m. the Friday before that respective semester begins,
- register for classes on-line by 5:00 p.m. the Friday before that respective semester begins,
- speak one-on-one with staff in the Registrar’s Office (1st floor, Enrollment Services),
- inquire more about Financial Aid (1st floor, Enrollment Services),
- follow up with your academic advisor,
- obtain a TWU ID Badge (through Student Life, accomplished during orientation)
- secure a locker (through Student Life),
- upload remaining immunization records to http://patient-twu.medicatconnect.com/
- review student health insurance possibilities (TWU has a relationship with Academic HealthPlans),
- purchase textbooks (many options online or at Follett UTSHC Nursing Bookstore),
- make arrangements for a parking contract &/or public transportation,
- explore METRO offerings (Q Card at half off traditional fare for enrolled students, Light Rail, Bus, Community Connector, STAR Vanpool and Carpool, Park & Ride),
- get familiar with the Texas Medical Center (optional tours of the TMC are given during Orientation and in the first few weeks of classes),
- sign up to receive notifications from Pioneer Alert, a system that can deliver emergency messages from our University Department of Public Safety (DPS) to campus personnel via text, email, phone (or campus computer for faculty/staff).
Page last updated 4:39 PM, December 2, 2020