CPT, OPT, Application for Change of Status

For those students who are at a point in their academic course work where practical training becomes a necessary next step, applications for Curriculum Practical Training and Optional Practical Training can be obtained and submitted here also. As the situations emerge, forms such as the Exemption from Full Time Enrollment and Insurance Waiver form are both available at this same office, and guidance for use is shared as well. Additionally, Change of Status applications are coordinated through the Office of Student Life.

Status Letters, Notations in SEVIS, I-20 Signatures

Student at the International Festival at TWU Houston

With regards to status, much can be accomplished at the Houston site.

Issuing status letters:

  • departure out of the country,
  • Social Security Number application,
  • invitation letters for relatives

I-20 updates: 

  • address changes,  
  • new dependents,  
  • practical training notations and
  • signing prior to country departure

Tuberculosis Blood Test - Mandatory Screening

Students at TWU Houston International Day

Prior to stepping into your first class, international students (both F-1 and J-1) are required to show proof of TB screening. The University now mandates that a TB Blood Test (not merely a Skin Test) be accomplished, with lab results sent to the Student Health Services in Denton. Students will not be permitted to register for classes until all of this has been addressed in a satisfactory manner. For your convenience, the University of Texas Health Services located one block away from the Houston campus can facilitate this. It will take approximately one week for the results to be returned. This important topic is addressed in more detail on the Denton International Education web page.

Mandatory Health Insurance

International students with J-1 or F-1 status are required to maintain health insurance coverage during their physical presence here in the United States.  This includes times in-between semesters, when they are not attending classes, yet still being hosted by TWU. Academic HealthPlans is the designated carrier, and all students with a F-1 or J-1 status will be automatically billed for insurance coverage each semester. For those students from other countries who have insurance either through their sponsoring Embassy or U.S. employer, health insurance waiver forms can be obtained through the Student Life Office. For more information, including deadlines and criteria for insurance selection, visit Student Health Services - International Students.

Page last updated 9:50 AM, December 5, 2019