Charge for the Space Utilization Advisory Committee
Role & Scope
- Maintain a comprehensive inventory of space and space allocations on all campuses (in conjunction with FMC).
- Receive, review, and develop recommendations on all requests for new space, reallocation of space, or change in use of space. All requests for new space, reallocation of space, or change in use of space will be submitted in writing to the cochairs of the committee and will be approved by the appropriate Dean/Chair/Vice President. Persons making requests may appear before the Space Utilization Advisory Committee to justify and defend their request. Requests should only be submitted for action AFTER all avenues to resolve the space need within the college/division have been fully explored.
- For new capital projects, initiate the planning process to include location and any infrastructure and technical review required to develop placement location options to be considered.
- Determine the need for, and if necessary, develop University space management principles (standards) which will be applied consistently and equitably in future facility and space decisions.
- Develop and recommend planning allocations for deferred maintenance (3 to 5-year plan).
- Recommend a prioritized plan for deferred maintenance projects (annually).
- Recommendations of the Space Utilization Advisory Committee will be forwarded to the Chancellor for approval.
Committee membership should represent a broad spectrum of university perspectives including faculty, staff, and student, as well as perspectives from each of our campuses. Appointments will follow rotating and staggered terms. Members start committee service as non-voting alternate members then move into the primary voting member role following the exit in service of the prior primary voting member the alternate is scheduled to replace. Committee members will be appointed by the cochairs in consultation with appropriate leaders and groups. During the implementation of the committee, Dr. Martin and Ms. Crain will cochair the committee work.
- Meeting agendas, meeting minutes, and status of all requests will be available on the website.
- This committee will meet monthly.
- To assist in the review and evaluation of requests, the cochairs may create sub-committees to research and provide recommendations back to the Space Utilization Advisory Committee for consideration.
- Requests/initiatives related to the university strategic plan will have a higher priority than other requests/initiatives.
- Faculty/Staff needs will have a higher priority than storage needs.
- Preference shall be given to requests that demonstrate sharing of resources and/or equipment.
- Facilities are allocated to departments/units for a specific purpose. When that purpose is no longer required, the space should be made available to the university for reallocation through the space assignment/allocation process.
- When a department/unit moves into new space, the space vacated as a result of that move reverts to the university for reallocation through the space assignment/allocation process.
- Specific criteria to be considered when reviewing facility requests will include
- Health and safety requirements
- Core space needs for programs
- Functionality/utility/efficiency of space
- Adjacency or unity of programs
- Accessibility of space
- Funding availability
- Faculty recruitment/retention
- Urgency of need
- On-campus storage space is limited and should be utilized only for equipment and other materials that require frequent access.
- Long term storage (items not requiring regular access) shall be stored in an off-campus location. Prior to using off-campus storage, carefully consider the security of the items to be stored as it relates to FERPA and other regulations.
Page last updated 8:53 AM, November 8, 2017