School Librarian Certification Options
The School Librarian Certification (SLC) program offered by the TWU School of Library and Information Studies meets all requirements of the State Board for Educator Certification for public schools in Texas. The certification program is available entirely online.
Requirements for School Librarian Certification (SLC)
- An official record of two-year classroom teaching in an accredited school to enter the SLC program;
- Upon admission to SLIS, apply to the TWU Educator Preparation Program. For Texas certification information, contact the Office of Educator Preparation Services at 940-898-2829, or email Linda Kobler at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Submission of the following documents by the end of the first semester:
- a signed Code of Ethics document,
- a degree plan if the student is in the MLS degree program, and
- a SLC checklist;
- Completion of the Master of Library Science degree, unless the student has a prior Master’s degree in another discipline;
- Completion of at least 15 hours of coursework, excluding practicum, in the SLC program at TWU after the official entry date to the SLC program;
- Completion of a practicum of 160 hours according to the SLC practicum guidelines; and
- Successful completion of the TExES examination.
Criteria for TExES Examination
In order for a SLC student to be approved to take the Texas TExES examination, the student must have successfully completed 18 hours of School Librarian Certification required coursework, including LS 5233, LS 5333, and LS 5443. Fifteen of those course credit hours must have been completed at TWU. TWU is not responsible for the acceptance of its degree or courses by other states. To register for the exam, contact Linda Kobler, COPE Academic Certification Analyst, at email@example.com.
A. Those who intend to pursue the MLS degree should apply for the Master of Library Science (MLS) with SLC focus.
B. Those who hold a master’s degree in a different discipline and who do not wish to obtain the MLS degree should apply for the Graduate Certificate in School Librarianship program.
Out-of-State Students Seeking School Librarian Certification
The Master of Library Science with School Librarian Certification and the Post-Master's Certificate in School Librarianship prepare graduates to take the School Librarian Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) exam (State Board for Educator Certification through the Texas Education Agency). School librarian certification in states other than Texas will have other requirements. TWU SLIS programs HAVE NOT BEEN DETERMINED to meet the educational requirements of other states. Please check with your state to make sure our program meets their requirements.
Disclosure statement(s) for licensure and certification
Page last updated 12:01 PM, March 3, 2023