MLS with School Librarian Certification Focus
The Master of Library Science degree program at Texas Woman’s University is accredited by the American Library Association Committee on Accreditation, with the status of Continued accreditation. The next comprehensive review visit is scheduled for 2025. Public Disclosure on Master's Student Learning Assessment
The Master of Library Science (MLS) degree with School Librarian Certification (SLC) focus is available entirely online and only takes 36 hours to complete. It is designed to prepare professionals to work in libraries in elementary schools, middle schools, and/or high schools (K-12).
See the Courses section for additional information.
School Librarian Certification
The School Librarian Certification (SLC) program offered by the TWU School of Library and Information Studies meets all requirements of the State Board for Educator Certification for public schools in Texas. The certification program is available entirely online. See more information specific to the School Librarian Certification.
Admission to the M.L.S. with S.L.C. Focus
Preferred Application Deadlines
Fall - June 1
Spring - November 1
Summer - April 1
- Completed bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA from a U.S. college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency, or an equivalent degree from a foreign college or university.
- Applicants with GPA below 3.0, who meet the Graduate School minimum requirement, may be considered for admission review on a case by case basis.
How to Apply
- Apply for admission to the TWU Graduate School.
- Submit the following materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to TWU SLIS, PO Box 425769, Denton, TX 76204-5769. Only complete application packets will be considered. Applicants are responsible for keeping their contact information current.
- A SLIS Application Form (fillable PDF form; Chrome browser recommended)
- A resume
- A 2-page statement of intent (your professional goals and career interests)
- 1 professional reference letter sent via postal mail on official letterhead OR sent via email to email@example.com directly from the reference
Additional Requirement: Apply to the TWU Educator Preparation Program. For Texas School Librarian Certification information, contact the Office of Educator Preparation Services at 940-898-2829 or email Linda Kobler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or email@example.com.
Disclosure statement(s) for licensure and certification
Page last updated 1:21 PM, March 23, 2023