Counseling Psychology Master’s Program
Criteria for Admission to the Counseling Psychology Master’s Program
- Recommended GRE: 153 (500) V, 144 (500) Q, Analytic Writing 4.0. The subject (Psychology) GRE is not required.
- GPA: 3.0 or higher in last 60 hours of undergraduate work; 3.5 in psychology classes. If graduate master’s work has been completed, a 3.5 is desirable.
- Eighteen hours of undergraduate psychology coursework including:
- Introduction to Psychology/General Psychology
- Developmental Psychology (Life Span)
- Experimental Psychology/Research Design/Research Methods
- Cognitive Psychology/Psychology of Learning
- Psychology Elective
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about the graduate counseling psychology admissions criteria and application process.
Part I: Graduate School Application
Arrange to have the following documents sent to:
Office of Admissions Processing
Texas Woman’s University
P.O. Box 425649
Denton, TX 76204-5649
- The ApplyTexas Application: Applicants, at all levels must use this system to apply to all Texas public universities. Submit a graduate admissions application online at www.applytexas.org (NOTE: A nonrefundable application fee of $50 will be required of each new applicant. The fee is $75 for international students).
- Official Transcripts: Submit official transcript from each accredited college or university attended (no copies accepted). Even though coursework from all institutions may be reflected on one transcript, TWU’s Office of Admissions requires individual transcripts from each university attended.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores: Arrange to have your GRE report sent directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS; www.ets.org/gre/). When completing ETS’s Score Report Form, you will need to know TWU’s institutional code, which is 6826.
Visit the Office of Admissions’ Graduate Students website for additional details.
Part II: Program Application
Collect and submit the following documents in one envelope, addressed to:
Claudia Porras Pyland, Ph.D.
Counseling Psychology Master’s Program Admissions Coordinator
Department of Psychology & Philosophy
Texas Woman’s University
P.O. Box 425470
Denton, Texas 76204-5470
- Counseling Psychology Master’s Program Application: Complete, print, and submit a hard copy of the Master's Program Application.
- Counseling Psychology Master’s Program Curriculum Vita (CV): Use the Curriculum Vita Template to organize your academic, professional, scholarship, and service experiences. You will need to print and submit a hard copy of your CV.
- Sample CV for your reference
- Letters of Recommendation: Submit three letters of recommendation from academic or professional references. Letters should be written on institutional or organizational letterhead. Each must be individually sealed with the recommender’s signature written across the flap.
- Unofficial Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores: Submit a copy of your most recent GRE scores.
- Essays: Respond to the following five questions. Each response should NOT exceed 250 words in length.
- What incident or major life-event most influenced your desire to pursue an advanced degree in counseling psychology?
- Identify and discuss a specific group to whom you think it would be difficult for you to provide counseling or psychological services.
- How would you assess your fit for this program?
- Describe your anticipated career trajectory (i.e., where do you see yourself one year, 10 years, and 20 years after completing your degree)?
- What are your major research interests?
- Transcripts: Submit a transcript from each accredited college or university attended (unofficial or photocopied transcripts are acceptable).
Visit the Counseling Psychology Master’s Program website for additional details about the program.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Application Deadline: Our application deadline is February 1. All application materials must be received by both the Office of Admissions and the Department of Psychology & Philosophy by the specified deadline. Please note that it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all materials are received by February 1. Applicants are encouraged to confirm receipt of their materials by contacting the Office of Admissions Processing 940-898-3076 or Claudia Porras Pyland, Ph.D., at 940-898-2312.
International Student Applicants: International applicants are encouraged to apply and should review their admissions requirements at https://www.twu.edu/admissions/international/ or contact the Office of Admissions Processing at 940-898-3076.
On-Campus Interviews: On-campus interviews are required. The admissions coordinator, Claudia Porras Pyland, Ph.D., will contact those applicants we invite to interview. On-campus interviews will be held on Friday, March 9, 2018.
Accepting an Offer: Should you decide to accept our offer, your reply, in writing, must be received on or before April 15, pursuant with the policy of the American Psychological Association. Submit confirmation of your acceptance to Claudia Porras Pyland, Ph.D., via: email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (940-898-2301), or mail (Claudia Porras Pyland, Ph.D., Counseling Psychology Master’s Program Admissions Coordinator, Department of Psychology & Philosophy, Texas Woman’s University, P.O. Box 425470, Denton, Texas 76204-5470).