TWU's Center for Women in Business announces grant program
Jan. 30, 2018 - Texas Woman’s University’s Center for Women in Business (CWB) recently launched a new program that offers $5,000 grants to women-owned business in Texas. The Women’s Enterprise Training and Micro Grant Program was created to encourage female entrepreneurs to start new and innovative projects.
Applications for the program are due by 5 p.m. Feb. 23. Eligible businesses must satisfy all of the following conditions:
- Existing or to-be-formed woman-owned businesses (at least 51% directly owned and controlled by one or more women who are U.S. citizens) with five or fewer employees.
- Must be a for-profit corporation, partnership, LLP or LLC, or sole proprietorship. Not-for-profit corporations or similar nonprofit entities are not eligible.
- If the business or business owner owns the premises from which the business operates, all property taxes must be current.
- All sales, payroll, and other taxes must be current.
- The business, business owner and applicant must not be involved in any pending or current litigation.
- The business, business owner and applicant are operating with all required permits and licenses, and are conforming to all required laws.
Grant funding may be used for the purchase of machinery, equipment or technology, acquisition of new inventory or raw materials, purchase and installation of fixtures or display units, property improvements, marketing, or other business-related activity that aligns with the purpose of the program. Wages and salaries are ineligible for funding.
“This program is a great way for someone looking to start the business she’s always wanted to, and to get both the funding to kick-start it and the training needed to sustain it,” said Shannon Mantaro, director of the CWB.
To receive the funding, awardees must complete a small business training course hosted by the CWB in Denton. The course will cover topics such as business plan development, marketing, legal and accounting and financing.
For more information and to download an application, visit twu.edu/center-women-business or contact Shannon Mantaro at 940-898-2895.
About TWU’s Center for Women in Business
Texas Woman’s University’s Center for Women in Business is the state’s only university center dedicated to women’s entrepreneurship and business ownership. The CWB provides the tools for woman-owned businesses to succeed including access to training, funding, coaching, networking events and mentoring opportunities for prospective business owners and students. To learn more, visit twu.edu/center-women-business or call 940-898-2895.
Deanna W. Titzler
Director of Public Relations
Page last updated 3:40 PM, April 5, 2022