2016 News Releases
University to celebrate excellence during Honors Convocation
Texas Woman’s University has re-envisioned Honors Convocation – traditionally a celebration of faculty, staff and student achievement — into a celebration of university-wide excellence April 14-15.
Faculty and staff awards will be presented during a ceremony scheduled for 2:20 p.m. Thursday, April 14 in the Hubbard Hall Banquet Room/Pioneer Room. Accolades awards — including the Distinguished Alumni Award, Hallmark Alumni Award and Outstanding Student awards, will be presented during a luncheon scheduled Friday, April 15.
TWU faculty receiving awards are:
- Susan kae Grant, MFA, professor of art — the Cornaro Award;
- Rosemary Candelario, Ph.D., assistant professor of dance, and Laura Trujillo-Jenks, Ph.D., assistant professor of teacher education — Mary Mason Lyon Award;
- Nancy A. Hadsell, Ph.D., professor of music therapy, and Lybeth Hodges, Ph.D., professor of history — the Humphries Award;
- Linda Rubin, Ph.D., professor of psychology and faculty ombudsperson — Innovation in Academia;
- Lizabeth Spoonts, RDH, MS, associate clinical professor of dental hygiene — Distinction in Service;
- Sylvia Vardell, Ph.D., professor of library science — Distinction in Scholarship;
- Jennifer Richey, Ph.D., assistant professor of library science — Distinction in Distance Education;
- Paul Travis, Ph.D., professor of history — Distinction in Teaching.
TWU staff members receiving recognition are:
- Carmen Cruz, Psy.D., assistant director and director of training for the Counseling Center — TWU Award of Excellence; and
- Nora Sierra, assistant to the associate provost of Institutional Research & Improvement, and Cheryl Holcombe, coordinator of enrollment services – Houston — Outstanding Achievement awards.
Students receiving recognition are:
- John Maddoux, doctoral candidate in counseling psychology; Tara Roush Signs, doctoral candidate in family therapy; and Amy Johnson, doctoral candidate in early child development and education — Graduate Council Award for Exceptional, Original Scholarship:
- Desiree Patterson, a kinesiology major; Delanie Sager, a music education major; Enrique Saldana, a mathematics major; and Lenora A. McWilliams, a Ph.D. candidate in nursing — Outstanding Student Awards.
Alumni being honored are:
- Therese Bartholomew Bevers, M.D., medical director of the Cancer Prevention Center and Prevention Outreach programs at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and former chair of the TWU Board of Regents — Distinguished Alumni Award; and
- Francine Wright-Anderson, Ph.D., professor of anatomy and founding assistant dean for post-baccalaureate studies at the Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine in Lillington, North Carolina — Hallmark Alumni Award.
In a separate event, the Award for Outstanding Contributions to the TWU Libraries will be presented to David Schuster, director of IT and technical support on the Denton campus, during a reception at 4 p.m. Monday, April 18 in the Joyce Thompson Lecture Hall in the TWU Blagg-Huey Library.
Page last updated 8:43 AM, April 22, 2019