Pioneer Music Educators Association
A student chapter of the Texas Music Educators Association
Begun in 1920 as the Texas Band Teachers Association, the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) is an organization of over 10,000 school music educators dedicated to promoting excellence in music education. TMEA is comprised of five divisions: Band, Orchestra, Vocal, Elementary and College.
On behalf of its members and Texas schoolchildren, TMEA carefully monitors the actions of all state decision-making bodies on issues affecting fine arts instruction in Texas. In addition to many member benefits, TMEA offers professional development opportunities for its members with region workshops and especially with its annual clinic/convention. TMEA supports the future of music education by offering scholarships to music education majors and by sponsoring the Texas Future Music Educators, an organization through which high school students interested in careers in music education learn more about what to expect in their college education and future careers.
- To provide professional growth opportunities.
- To encourage interaction among music education professionals.
- To foster public support for music in schools.
- To offer quality musical experiences for students.
- To cultivate universal appreciation and lifetime involvement in music.
- To develop and maintain productive working relationships with other professional organizations.
The Pioneer Music Educators Association (PMEA), is the TMEA chapter at Texas Woman’s University. Our organization is actively involved both on campus and in the community through its dedication to the advancement of music education and the study/performance of music throughout society. Members participate in several events involving the musicians on campus and the regional high school music programs. The organization facilitates recruitment efforts within the Denton area and works to build music education programs. Although PMEA is mainly a music education organization, our primary goal is to instill the love of music in those around us, and we welcome all who wish to share their love of music.
As a member of PMEA, you will:
- Have the opportunity to interact with fellow music education majors by attending meetings and through various social activities.
- Gain valuable hands-on experience as you fulfill the requisite community service hours.
- Host a variety of choral and instrumental events on campus including the TMEA Region 2 annual choral clinic/concert, All-State Choir Camp, Pre-UIL clinics and concerts, and various instrumental workshops.
- Facilitate TMEA and UIL events in local schools.
- Assist with scholarship and entrance auditions.
- Have the opportunity to attend workshops designed for future music educators on campus and at the annual TMEA convention in San Antonio each February.
- Collaborate with other TWU music organizations on department-wide initiatives.
- Network with local educators, potential future employers and colleagues.
- Advocate for the importance of music in our schools and communities.
President: Mia Diaz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice-president: Ian Archbold
Secretary: Daniela Castro
Treasurer: Madeleine Bouldin
Activities Chair: Preston Scharff
Publicity Chair: Stephanie-Grace Makayabo
Page last updated 10:56 AM, May 28, 2019