B.B.A. in Accounting - Core Skills
- Analytical Competence: BBA Accounting Specific Application- Ability to think analytically; Ability to use analytical tools to make decisions. General Employment Application- Effectiveness in problem solving; Efficient use of common analytical tools
- Diversity: BBA Accounting Specific Application- Ability to work well within a diverse organizationGeneral Employment Application- Working in diverse teams for auditing, tax, internal projects, and consulting projects
- Ethical Reasoning: BBA Accounting Specific Application- Ethical reasoning; Objectivity, independence, due professional care; Conflict resolution General Employment Application- Required ethics education for CPAs, CMAs, and other accounting professionals
- Teamwork: BBA Accounting Specific Application-Ability to be an effective worker in team situations General Employment Application-Audit teams, Tax teams, Project management teams
B.B.A. in Accounting - Discipline-Based Skills
- Generally Accepted Auditing Principles: BBA Accounting Specific Application- Knowing and applying general, field work, and auditing reporting standards General Employment Application- Ability to assist in performing external and internal audits of various business entities; Ability to assist external and internal auditors with audit of business
- Basic Individual and Entity Tax Law: BBA Accounting Specific Application- Ability to know, apply and research tax law as it relates to individuals and business entitiesGeneral Employment Application-Preparing individual tax returns; Preparing entity tax returns, Providing tax planning advice
- Excel Skills: BBA Accounting Specific Application- Create pivot tables, Create horizontal and vertical lookups; Write formulas and models in Excel; Use present and future value; Use if/then and other conditional formatting functionsGeneral Employment Application- Considered a basic and necessary skill for all accounting positions; Analyzing organizational and client data; Preparing tables, reports, charts; Use in analytical computations and quantitative decision-making
- QuickBooks and other Accounting Software: BBA Accounting Specific Application- Recording accounting transactions and adjustments; Preparing financial statements; Preparing other financial reports General Employment Application- Ability to process accounting transactions and adjustments for external and internal purposes for all types of business entities. Knowledge of one accounting package is easily transferable to any software package used by business entities.
- Tax Preparation Software: BBA Accounting Specific Application-Preparing individual, corporate, and partnership tax returns using tax software General Employment Application- Preparing individual tax return; Preparing entity tax returns
B.B.A. in Business Administration - General Discipline-Based Skills
- Strategic planning: BBA General Specific Application- SWOT analysis; CPM; environmental scanning.General Employment Application- Ability to effectively analyze and evaluate the internal and external environment that the firm operates in.
- Excel Skills: BBA General Specific Application- Create and format data as tables and graphs; perform basic arithmetic functions. General Employment Application- Analyze organization and client data Prepare reports, charts, and other common business uses of Microsoft Excel.
- Employee motivation: BBA General Specific Application- Excellent grasp of theories of motivation. General Employment Application- Influence other employees to perform well at work.
- Budget analysis: BBA General Specific Application- Understanding financial data. General Employment Application- Ability to read financial statements, spreadsheets, tables, and other decision tools used in the workplace.
- Business communication skills: BBA General Specific Application- Effectively communicate through a variety of mediums and modes. General Employment Application- Effectively communicate information, both written and verbal, to reach the desired needs of the firm.
B.B.A. in Finance - Core Skills
- Critical Thinking: BBA Finance Specific Application- Ability to identify problems and determine best solutions; Ability to assess risk; Ethical reasoning General Employment Application-Efficiency in problem solving; Ethical reasoning.
- Diversity: BBA Finance Specific Application- Ability to work well within a diverse organization General Employment Application- Working in diverse teams including international teams
- Ethical Reasoning: BBA Finance Specific Application- Ethical reasoning; Objectivity, independence, due professional care; Conflict resolution; Corporate governance; Firm behavior in society General Employment Application-Maintaining a company’s ethics policy; Making ethical decisions in companies; Avoiding conflicts between personal interest and those of the companies
- Teamwork: BBA Finance Specific Application- Ability to be an effective worker in team situations General Employment Application- Project management teams
B.B.A. in Finance - Discipline Skills
- Time Value of Money: BBA Finance Specific Application- Capital budgeting; Financial security valuation GeneralEmployment Application- Financial Planning; Retirement planning; Forecasting and business investment decision making
- Cash Flow Analysis: MBA Finance Specific Application- Measuring a firm’s cash flows; Working capital management; Firm’s project analysis General Employment Application- Financial analysis; Firm valuation; Capital budgeting
- Microsoft Excel: BBA Finance Specific Application-Regression and other data analysis tools; Charts and other visualization; Pivot tables; Filter and sort; Business investment analysis; Use if/then conditional scenarios; Use present value and future value; Use yield; internal rate of return and other return functions; Use bond valuation and Accrual function; Cash flow evaluation and sensitivity analysis GeneralEmployment Application-A required skill for all finance positions; Financial analysis; Preparing tables, reports, charts; Analytical computations and decision-making
- Capital Markets: BBA Finance Specific Application- Raise capital in the primary and secondary capital markets with both debt and equity securities; Operate as a buyer and seller in the secondary capital markets; Understand the roles of the SEC; Institutional investing; Understand stock exchanges; Work with pension and mutual funds GeneralEmployment Application- Raising capital for business organizations; complying with governmental regulations relating to debt and equity securities; Assist businesses and individuals in buying and selling equity and debt instruments in the secondary markets
- Analysis of Financial Statements: BBA Finance Specific Application- Finding strengths and weakness of a company; for internal corporate use or for capital market investors General Employment Application- Financial analysis; Enabling a firm to make better economic decisions
B.B.A. in Human Resource Management - Core Skills
- Critical Thinking: BBAHR Specific Application- Problem solving within human resource management or across functions General Employment Application- Problem solve and develop solutions to business issues
- Diversity: BBAHR Specific Application- Manage and promote a diverse workforce; Diversity awareness and training General Employment Application- Manage and promote a diverse workforce
- Ethical Reasoning: BBAHR Specific Application- Make human resource decisions in an ethical manner General Employment Application- Make ethical business decisions
- Teamwork: BBAHR Specific Application- Work with others in the human resource department and across the organization General Employment Application- Work within and across functions in an organization to help the organization perform at a high level
B.B.A. in Human Resource Management - Discipline Skills
- Training and Development: BBAHR Specific Application- Train employees for their current jobs and develop employees for future jobs within the organization General Employment Application- Prepare employees for jobs, so they can perform at a high level.
- Compensation and Benefits: BBA HR Specific Application-Develop compensation and benefits plans to be competitive in the labor market GeneralEmployment Application- Enable the organization to be competitive for talent in the labor market and motivate and retain current employees
- Performance Management: BBA HRSpecific Application- Develop performance management systems to evaluate the performance of employees GeneralEmployment Application- Evaluate employee performance to help ensure organization-level goals are met
- Employment Law: BBA HRSpecific Application- Understand employment law to deliver all aspects of human resource management legally GeneralEmployment Application- Assist employees and managers with following labor laws and avoiding labor law related lawsuits
B.B.A. in Management - Core Skills
- Analytical Competence: BBA ManagementSpecific Application- Ability to collect and analyze information, problem-solve, and make decisions. GeneralEmployment Application- Knowledge of using spreadsheets, tables, and decision tools to understand and evaluate data (i.e. financial, survey, secondary, observational).
- Teamwork: BBA ManagementSpecific Application- Working well with teams to complete project work.GeneralEmployment Application- With the increased use of matrix organizational structures in today’s workplace, efficient and effective teamwork is essential to career success. Vital components of successful teamwork include learning and applyingmethods for group creation, role formation, successful team communication, and ability to produce results.
- Ethical Reasoning: BBA ManagementSpecific Application- Ability to analyze and evaluate ethical situations in the workplace. GeneralEmployment Application- Ethical failures have hurt companies and destroyed millions of dollars in shareholder value. For this reason, firms seek individuals who understand and act in ethical ways.
- Diversity: BBA ManagementSpecific Application- Understanding the importance and positive performance implications of a diverse workplace while understanding how to best manage in a diverse environment. GeneralEmployment Application- Today’s workplace is growing more diverse and firms seek job candidates who can operate in this diverse environment.
B.B.A. in Management - Discipline Skills
- Strategic planning: BBAManagement Specific Application- WOT analysis, CPM, environmental scanning. GeneralEmployment Application- Ability to effectively analyze and evaluate the internal and external environment that the firm operates in.
- Data analysis and presentation: BBAManagement Specific Application- Create and format data as tables and graphs; perform basic arithmetic functions; understanding of Excel including pivot tables and analysis functions. GeneralEmployment Application- Analyze organization and client data Prepare reports, charts, and other common business uses of Microsoft Excel.
- Employee motivation: BBAManagement Specific Application- Excellent grasp of theories of motivation.GeneralEmployment Application- Influence other employees to perform well at work.
- Budget analysis: BBAManagement Specific Application- Understanding financial data. GeneralEmployment Application- Ability to read financial statements, spreadsheets, tables, and other decision tools used in the workplace.
- Business communication skills: BBAManagement Specific Application-Effectively communicate through a variety of mediums and modes. GeneralEmployment Application- Effectively communicate information, both written and verbal, to reach the desired needs of the firm.
B.B.A. in Marketing - Core Skills
- Analytical Competence: BBA MarketingSpecific Application- Think analytically; Use analytical tools to make decisions.GeneralEmployment Application- Effectiveness in problem solving; Efficient use of common analytical tools for marketing analysis.
- Diversity: BBA Marketing Specific Application- Work well within a diverse organization; Adapt strategies based on individual or group differences.GeneralEmployment Application- Working in diverse teams; Learning about diversity and differences and how that affects marketing strategy.
- Ethical Reasoning: BBA MarketingSpecific Application- Apply ethical reasoning; Sustainability impacts on people, planet and profits. GeneralEmployment Application- Being able to make decisions that are ethical and socially responsible.
- Teamwork: BBA MarketingSpecific Application- Ability to be an effective worker in team situations. GeneralEmployment Application- Project management teams; Strategy development teams.
B.B.A. in Marketing - Discipline Skills
- Consumer Behavior Analysis: BBAMarketing Specific Application- Consumer buying process, Influences on consumer buying and behaviors. GeneralEmployment Application- Understanding how a business’s customers make decisions and use the product; Understanding what can appeal to customers and what can influence or motivate them.
- Product/Branding Strategy: BBAMarketing Specific Application- Understanding product mixes and life cycles; Understanding branding and positioning; Devising branding and positioning strategy. GeneralEmployment Application- Effectively managing a company’s product mix; Developing effective brands; Identifying and communicating a brand’s position (i.e., image)
- Promotion Skills: BBAMarketing Specific Application-Promotion mix tools; Promotion strategies and appeals.GeneralEmployment Application- Devise an optimal mix of promotion tools to accomplish objectives; Design effective messages and appeals for the targeted audience.
- Distribution/ Retailing Strategy: BBAMarketing Specific Application- Supply and distribution channels; Logistics of moving products; Channel and retail strategies. GeneralEmployment Application- Establish effective channels of distribution to meet customer needs; Get products to customers in efficient and effective ways.
- Pricing Applications: BBAMarketing Specific Application- Pricing strategies; Pricing math. GeneralEmployment Application-Setting effective prices and policies; Understanding basic dynamics of costs and profitability in relation to prices.
- Written Communication: BBAMarketing Specific Application- Writing marketing plans and reports; Writing to report research or analytics; Writing to promote and sell. GeneralEmployment Application- Internal planning and reporting; Outside communication with stakeholders.
M.B.A. - Core Skills
- Critical Thinking: MBA Specific Application--Solving problems by applying knowledge to cases and challenges in organizations. General Employment Application--Using feedback from employees, environment, benchmarking, and innovation to generate multiple solutions, creative ideas, and effective strategies and to understand the industry/general environment.
- Diversity: MBA Specific Application--Grasp knowledge of theory and legal statutes pertaining to workplace discrimination and diversity. General Employment Application--Implement fair selection practices and equal employee treatment while leveraging the benefits of workplace diversity.
- Ethical Reasoning: MBA Specific Application--Recognize and solve ethical dilemmas from assigned cases and grasp theory of ethics in the workplace. General Employment Application--Make ethical decisions and create or support an ethical organizational climate.
- Teamwork: MBASpecific Application--Work with teams on projects and/or grasp concepts related to group dynamics. General Employment Application--Ability to work with teams in a workplace setting and effectively manage work groups. Vital components of successful teamwork include learning and applying methods for group creation, role formation, successful team communication, team management, and the ability to produce results.
M.H.A. in Healthcare Administration - Core Skills
- Critical Thinking, Analysis, and Problem Solving: HCA Specific Application--The appropriate use of information, data, and judgment to inform sound management decisions. General Employment Application--Analytical thinking, financial management, information seeking, performance measurement, and process management.
- Management and Leadership: HCA Specific Application--A student’s ability to successfully pursue organizational goals that involve getting things done through and in collaboration with others. General Employment Application--Governance, change leadership, human resource management, initiative, IT management, organizational awareness, project management, and strategic orientation.
- Professionalism and Ethics: HCA Specific Application--Upholding high professional and ethical standards. General EmploymentcApplication--Accountability, acting with integrity, achievement orientation, ethical decision-making, professionalism, life-long learning, and self-confidence.
Page last updated 8:03 AM, September 17, 2019