Construction & Space Planning
Special Collections Temporarily Moved
Special Collections has temporarily moved to the Garden Level (#G02) of Blagg-Huey Library in order to renovate their space on the second floor. When completed, this area will more than double the size of their current space. If you need to reach them, please feel free to either call them (940-898-3751), visit them, or go to Ask an Archivist.
Collection and Table Movements
The Blagg-Huey Library is continuing to renovate. The latest area is the Woman’s Collection on the 2nd floor. We are planning to add additional space and need to prepare for the work to begin. As a result, the Cook Book Collection has been relocated to the 1st floor and the study tables have been moved to the 1st and 3rd floors. Theses and dissertations are still available by contacting the Information Desk. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes.
Silent Study Space Grand Opening
The Blagg-Huey Library will hold a grand opening of its new Silent Study Space on Wednesday, October 31 at 2:30 pm. The celebration will begin with a ribbon cutting by Dr. Feyten on the ground floor of the Library. The space will then be opened up for tours. Come join us and see our new student-centered space!
Fall 2017 Update
The Blagg-Huey Library has seen several changes over the summer:
- Students will find that all of the study rooms have been cleaned and repainted
- The study rooms will be receiving new furniture within the next year
- The entire Main Collection is now on the 3rd floor of the Library
- The Children’s Collection has moved to the 1st floor
- The Garden Level (former Children’s Collection) is being renovated for a silent study space
- There are no longer 2 service points on the 1st floor. The Information Desk now provides circulation, interlibrary loan, reserves, and reference services all in one convenient place
- Our security guards have a new station at the front entrance
- The Library has replaced several chairs for better comfort and movability
- Two conference rooms on the 3rd floor have been refurbished with video and collaborative equipment
- A large area has been cleared on the 1st floor where our Children’s Collection will be relocating
- 18 new computer workstations have been added to the 1st floor, replacing the former 2nd floor computer lab
- The new silent study space will open in October
- Construction will begin next week on the 2nd floor to make room for The Write Site which will open in late September
- The Psychology Resource Center has recently relocate to the 2nd floor of Blagg-Huey and will begin their tutoring shortly
- The new collaborative conference areas will open within the next few weeks (Room 308 and Room 322)
We apologize for the noise that comes with the progress and encourage you to get some earplugs at the information desk to alleviate the noise. Our staff are also available to help you find a quieter study space if needed.
The Library is excited about the changes! We are addressing student concerns by improving our spaces.
Silent Study Area Construction
Over the summer, the Blagg-Huey Library will be transforming the Garden Level to create a silent study space for students. This request has been the #1 student request for space needs in the Library. The Children’s Collection has been moved to a temporary space on the First Floor so that the compact shelving can be moved and reinstalled. The Collection will then be permanently moved to the First Floor. The former Children’s area will be opened up into one large room and new furniture, tables, and work areas will be installed.
Study Spaces Remodeling
The Library will be undertaking some major changes this summer that will provide silent study space, new furniture, and nicer study spaces. In order to do this, we need to temporarily close down all of our study rooms. In the meantime, if you are in need of quiet space, please ask the Library staff to help you find an area in the Library where you can study. We apologize for the inconvenience but since our summer months are fairly slow, we decided to do this now so that we disrupt as few of our students as possible.
The Library will remain open all summer but the study rooms will close. Thank you.
Roof Repair Complete
Our new roof is done! We hope that you will walk by and admire the wonderful work, including new copper on the cupola, dormers, and downspouts (along with the Texas Lone Stars). Although the fence has been removed, there is still landscaping work to complete. Once the grass is in and the bushes replaced this entire project will be done. Thank you for your patience during this project.
Roof Repair Progress
Crews have been diligently working at the Blagg-Huey Library since early December to provide us with a new roof. Although there have been some weather delays, the project is on schedule and will be completed by the summer of 2017. You will notice the new copper work on the cupola, which was recently completed. The new shingles that have been installed are very attractive and bring out the building’s white dormers. As the crews work, certain areas of the 3rd floor may be temporarily taped off for safety reasons. Library staff are happy to relocate anyone who is inconvenienced or bothered by the noise (earplugs are available at the Information Desk). The Library remains open its regular hours during the construction period. We appreciate your patience while this project is being done.
Roof Repair to begin Nov. 28
Crews will be at the library on Monday (11/28) to begin installing fencing. The entire building will be fenced off except for the front entrance. The roof replacement is scheduled to be completed by Summer 2017. Regular updates on the project will be available on the library webpage. There will be some noise due to the construction. Patrons can check out earplugs from the Circulation Desk. The project is being done in three phases so as the workers proceed, library staff will help redirect our users to a quieter space as needed.
Library roof repair to begin soon; Library will stay open during regular hours
Repairs to the roof of Blagg-Huey Library will begin soon. Library will be open during regular hours. Scaffolding fences will surround the library building. Facilities Management will do their best to limit the noise as much as possible. The roof construction project is scheduled to be completed before Summer 2017, but is subject to change due to weather and construction delays. We will keep you updated about the progress.