Mission, vision and values
The Department of Language, Culture, and Gender Studies develops original, transdisciplinary knowledge in our fields of study. We foster student diversity, equity and inclusion, and emphasize students’ literacy across academic, professional and civic life to advance perspectives on language and cultural productions. We empower students to pursue professional opportunities as scholars, writers, content creators, teachers, editors, interpreters, translators, community organizers, leaders, consultants and more.
The Department of Language, Culture, and Gender Studies cultivates a vibrant, collaborative intellectual community of learners, teachers, scholars, and writers. We embrace inclusive, innovative pedagogies to promote critical engagement with and production of multimodal texts. We aspire to create spaces on campus and in our disciplines that welcome all voices, minds, and bodies.
- We value integrity, collaboration, and transparency.
- We value ethics of care and strong mentoring relationships.
- We value active learning, experiential learning, and community partnerships that result in transferable skills.
- We value transdisciplinary inquiry and the production of knowledge in ways that advance the academy and the communities we serve.
- We value social justice and the pursuit of equity for their promise to transform our University and our communities.
Page last updated 2:50 PM, November 29, 2022