On Campus Employment

  • International Students are allowed to work on-campus 20 hours per week while enrolled in classes.
  • Employment and assistantships are not guaranteed and should not be considered as primary means of support.
  • To find a job on campus visit Career Services and/or contact a TWU department.
  • For TWU Graduate, Graduate Research, or Graduate Teaching Assistantships visit Graduate School.
  • Apply for a U.S. Social Security Card (if you do not currently have a card). International Students must have a Social Security Card to be employed on campus.
  • Print the Social Security Checklist for step by step instructions to be employed on-campus.
  • Print the SSN Employer Letter and take to the hiring department to complete.
  • When applying for a Social Security Card, print and complete the Letter Request Form and bring to the International Education Office to request an Enrollment Verification letter.
  • Print and complete the Campus Employment Application and bring to the International Education office for verification.

Off Campus Employment

  • Off-Campus Employment must be authorized PRIOR to beginning off-campus employment. Be sure to allow sufficient time for processing.
  • Curricular Practical Training โ€“ submit to OIE; allow at least 2 weeks for processing.
  • Optional Practical Training Request for Optional Practical Training (OPT) I-20 โ€“ submit to the Office of International Education; we will contact you when the OPT Request I-20 is completed. While you are waiting for the I-20 complete the Form I-765 (Request for Employment Authorization) and gather documents needed to submit to USCIS; bring to OIE to review before mailing; allow 3 months for processing. Please see the Instructions below*.
  • Economic Hardship Work Permission โ€“ allow 4-6 months for processing. Please speak to the International Advisor for more information.

*Instructions for the I-765

  • Under the section "I am applying for:" be sure to check Permission to Accept Employment
  • Under Question 3, "U.S. Mailing address," use this address:
    TWU PO Box 428827
    Denton, TX 76204
  • Under Question 10, "Alien Registration Number," use the I-94 number found at http://www.cbp.gov/i-94/ 
  • Under Question 11, "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from UCIS?," is asking if you have ever had an EAD card. Check the appropriate box.
  • Under Question 16, "Eligibility Category", C 3 B means Initial Post Completion OPT. If you are applying for a STEM extension, see the International Advisor.

Page last updated 8:50 AM, June 5, 2017