Gender Inclusive Community
The Department of Housing and Dining at Texas Woman’s University seeks to provide a residential environment welcoming to all gender identities. We acknowledge the need to establish an inclusive housing option that supports the diverse identities and forms of expression present in our campus population. The Gender Inclusive Community allows for individuals to live together regardless of biological sex in order to provide a safe and supportive environment for residents in respect to their gender identity and gender expression.
Applicants who choose to live in the gender inclusive community must acknowledge the following:
- Texas Woman’s University is committed to providing an educational living and working environment that is welcoming, respectful and inclusive of all members of the University community, regardless of sex, sexual orientation, gender expression and gender identity. However, this specific community is for our students whose gender expression and/or gender identity exist outside of the gender binary.
- Residents will adhere to all University Housing policies in accordance to Student Code of Conduct, including the Prohibited Discrimination and Sexual Harassment and Misconduct policy.
- Gender inclusive rooms may house students of all biological sexes, gender expressions and identities.
- Residents must select in their housing application that they are interested in participating in Gender Inclusive Housing in order to select a room and to match with a roommate in Gender Inclusive Housing.
- An inclusive, affirming and comfortable living environment is contingent upon the effort of all roommates and their guests.
- Residents will assist and support roommates and their guests in order to maintain a space that is inclusive, affirming and comfortable.
- Residents will promote and use inclusive language within the gender inclusive community. This includes referring to others by their self-identified gender pronouns.
- Residents will respect assigned roommates’ different motivations for choosing this community.
- Residents are encouraged to have open dialogue with parent(s) or guardian(s) about their choice to reside in a gender inclusive community.
- Residents understand they will be removed from the environment if they fail to abide by these standards.
- This community is not intended for romantic couples.
- Counseling and Psychological Services at TWU offers general mental health services, including counseling that is affirming of sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are frequently asked questions regarding the Gender Inclusive Community:
What does gender inclusive housing mean?
Gender inclusive housing is an option that is affirming and supportive of LGBTQ+, transgender and gender diverse students. Housing applicants who opt into gender inclusive housing will live with other housing applicants who have also opted into gender inclusive housing, regardless of biological sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression.
Who will my roommate be?
Your roommate can be anyone that has also opted into gender inclusive housing, regardless of their gender. Use My College Roomie to match with other residential students who have also selected to live in Gender Inclusive Housing.
Is this in a specific building?
The gender inclusive community is located in Guinn Hall.
What is a gender identity?
One's innermost concept of self as male, female, a blend of both or neither – how individuals perceive themselves and what they call themselves. One's gender identity can be the same or different from their sex assigned at birth.
What is a gender expression?
External appearance of one's gender identity, usually expressed through behavior, clothing, haircut or voice, and which may or may not conform to socially defined behaviors and characteristics typically associated with being either masculine or feminine.
I have decided I am not a good fit for this floor – is there a way to leave this community?
You may email us at email@example.com or call our office at 940-898-3676 to inform us of your decision.
I do not want to live with someone who is not of my same gender. What should I do?
If you have a preference of people you would not like to live with, this community is probably not the option for you. The goal on Gender Inclusive Housing at TWU is to be affirming and supportive of LGBTQ+, transgender and gender diverse students.
Can significant others live together?
We do not collect relationship status. However, we do discourage romantic couples from living together in this community.
Is there a cap on how many people can participate?
Gender Inclusive Housing currently occupies two floors in Guinn Hall. Expanding this space will be considered should interest in the program outgrow the current space.
How will vacancies be filled?
Vacancies will be filled from our wait list of other people who have opted into gender inclusive housing.
Page last updated 3:57 PM, March 3, 2022