Course Attendance/Assignment Modification
The course attendance/assignment modification form will be emailed to the instructor of record, and should be completed in myDSS. Please contact us for assistance as needed.
The agreement should be completed by the instructor of record for the course listed on the accommodation letter.
The disabilities covered under this accommodation are typically chronic or episodic in nature. This accommodation allows for a reasonable amount of additional absences and provides extensions for assignments and exams within a specified timeframe determined by the instructor. For the purpose of this accommodation, exams will refer to both tests and quizzes.
Limitations of this accommodation assert the following:
- Unlimited and excessive absences are unreasonable.
- Use of this accommodation is not permitted for seasonal illness and disabilities not documented by DSS.
- This accommodation may not alter the essential component of the course.
- This accommodation may not be permissible where class attendance or participation is considered to be an essential component of the course.
Guidelines to determine the reasonability of course policy accommodation:
- What is the purpose of the assignment? Is it necessary to have it completed before an exam? Before a discussion?
- Is it possible for students to “work ahead” in this class?
- How is participation calculated into the course grade?
- How are students expected to interact with each other (in class, group work outside of class, via Canvas/email)?
- To what degree does a student’s extension of an assignment compromise the educational experience of other students in the class?
- Does the course rely on student participation as an essential method for learning?
- Is the material in the class being taught sequentially? Does each week’s material build on the material learned in the previous week(s)?
- Are there other lab or class sections the student could attend to catch up on missed material?
- Could missed assignments be turned in via discussion board/email?
- Are tests to be taken at a specific time and place, or is there a window when the test can be taken?
- To what degree does a student’s failure to attend constitute a significant loss to the educational experience of other students in the class?
Page last updated 3:31 PM, January 12, 2022