This two year low-residency program emphasizes study and the research of teaching and learning practices for working dance professionals and aspiring dance educators. In this program, students will expand their teaching strategies, advance their dance and education theoretical knowledge, and further develop their movement skills. Dance educators in K-12 settings, community college and universities, community centers/organizations, dance outreach programs, dance studios, or other educational environments, are encouraged to apply.
This MA in Dance with a Concentration in Education features online coursework (17 credits) and low-residency coursework (19 credits) combining focused independent study with face-to-face workshops and intensives. Each year, during the fall and spring semesters, students will meet face-to-face for two weekends to collaborate and learn with fellow students. Additionally, in each of the two summers, students will enroll in a two-week dance practice summer workshop where they will study and reflect upon their artistic practice, bodily knowledge, and movement skills.
This MA in Dance with a Concentration in Education is a cohort program in which students are only admitted every other year. Students who choose this concentration will begin their studies in the fall of even years (e.g. 2018 or 2020). This program is open to Texas residents and non-Texas residents, and scholarships with in-state tuition are available for qualified applicants.
The following dance courses are part of this concentration (25 credits):
- Contemporary Contexts of Dance
- Research Methods
- History and Cultural Study of Dance
- Pedagogical Foundations in Dance
- Summer Workshops in Dance: Technique
- Dance Culminating Project/Paper Proposal
- Dance Independent Study
- Dance Professional Project and Paper
Students will have the option of choosing four education courses (11 credits) to support their research, such as:
- Foundations of Teaching and Learning
- Technology in Assessment and Instruction
- Assessment and Design
- Design and Management of Classroom Environment
- Curriculum Studies
- Diversity in the Classroom
If you are interested in this concentration, please contact: Dr. Ilana Morgan at 940.898.2003 or email@example.com.
Applications are currently being accepted for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Applicants are invited to attend the on-campus audition on January 25th and 26th, 2018. This audition consists of a technique class, a teaching exercise, a tour of campus, and an interview. To register for this on-campus audition please contact Dr. Ilana Morgan at 940.898.2003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To apply for TWU scholarships and in-state tuition waivers applicants must apply to the university and apply for scholarships by March 15, 2018.
- Applications will be evaluated as they are received until July 1, 2018, however if an application is received after March 15, 2018, the university cannot consider the applicant for scholarships.
To apply to the MA in Dance with a Concentration in Education:
- Apply for admission to TWU Graduate School through the TWU Admissions office.
- Hold an undergraduate degree in dance.
- Submit the following materials to the TWU Department of Dance:
- Department of Dance Graduate Application Information Form [pdf].
- A 300-500 word statement of interests and objectives which include:
- an indication of your professional goals;
- previous artistic, academic, and career experience related to these goals; and
- the importance of graduate study in the pursuit of your professional goals.
- A resume of dance, educational, teaching, and artistic experience.
- Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your teaching, and/or academic work.
- A one-page teaching philosophy.
- If the applicant is interested in attending the on-campus audition, please contact Dr. Ilana Morgan to register, otherwise please submit the following:
- A link to a video of the applicant dancing and/or teaching via Vimeo or Youtube. If the applicant submits a teaching video they should be dancing with their students for a significant portion of the video as well as instructing.
- An interview with Dept. of Dance Faculty. Applicants who do not attend the on-campus audition will be asked to schedule an interview once all application materials are received via Skype.
Please send all application materials listed above to the email email@example.com with the subject heading “MA with Concentration in Education – Application.”
Scholarship Information for New Graduate Students
TWU Tuition Calculator
Page last updated 1:02 PM, July 26, 2018