Apply to the Doctoral Program in Dance
The deadline for all application materials to be received by the Department of Dance is Tuesday, October 1, 2019.
- Students from within the U.S. should have their completed graduate school application and required materials submitted for review and processing at least one month before the October 1, 2019 deadline.
- International students should have their completed graduate school application and required materials submitted for review and processing at least 3 months before the October 1, 2019 deadline.
When Can I Begin the Doctoral Program?
The low-residential Ph.D. in Dance is a cohort program in which students are only admitted to the program every other year. Doctoral students begin their studies in the summer of even years (e.g. summer 2018 or summer 2020). No new doctoral students will be admitted to begin study in summers of odd years (e.g. summer 2015, summer 2017).
Students enrolled in the program, including those who may choose to be in residence, comprise the “Doctoral Cohort” and work together with the faculty to create the doctoral learning community. During the two years of coursework, all doctoral students must be continually enrolled, follow the prescribed sequence of courses and attend all on-campus residencies.
Graduate School Application
Apply for admission to the Graduate School through the TWU Admissions office.
The GRE is no longer required for admission to the Graduate School. In addition to the general requirements, admission to the Ph.D. program in Dance requires the following:
- A master’s degree in dance or a related field of study from an accredited college or university or equivalent professional experience demonstrated by a record of significant scholarly achievement (dancemaking and/or research and writing).
- An academic record reflecting the ability to pursue advanced study and research in the field of dance.
- Proficiency in written, verbal and movement communication skills.
- Experience in the field of dance, including teaching, performing, choreographing, and/or other related practice.
More information about graduate study at TWU can be found on the TWU Graduate School website.
Additional Required Materials
In addition to the Graduate School Application, the following are materials to be compiled and submitted by the applicant to the Department of Dance:
- Department of Dance Application Information Form (pdf)
- A curriculum vitae highlighting educational and artistic experience in dance.
- Three letters of recommendation from academic or artistic professionals who can address your teaching, academic, and/or artistic preparation and potential for success in doctoral study. Please submit electronically as email attachments to email@example.com.
- A 2-page essay describing your interest and preparation for doctoral study (details for this essay are found in the Department of Dance Application Form)
- A sample of scholarly or professional writing (approximately 15 pages) such as a position paper, journal article manuscript or publication, conference presentation, in-depth critical analysis of dance practice, thesis chapter, or grant application.
Please send all application materials listed above electronically as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading, “Doctoral Application Materials.”
The 3 required reference letters may be sent electronically by the referring author. However, if hard copy is more convenient, the letter should be mailed to:
Chair, Department of Dance
Texas Woman’s University
P.O. Box 425708
Denton, TX 76204-5708
International applicants should immediately review the International Admission Requirements for application procedures and visit the the International Education and International Admissions website for important information concerning visa requirements. International students should be prepared to have their materials submitted for review and processing at least 3 months before the Department of Dance October 1, 2019 deadline.
An interview is required for admission to the doctoral program, either in person or over the phone. Qualified applicants will be contacted by the Department of Dance Recruitment Coordinator to schedule an interview after the October 1, 2019 application deadline.
If you have questions regarding the doctoral program application process, please email our doctoral program coordinator, Dr. Rosemary Candelario.
Page last updated 10:11 AM, July 24, 2018