Check Request Policy
Check requests are used to initiate payment for services or goods that do not require a purchase order (PO) and cannot be processed through the use of a TWU PCard. If a purchase or expense is questionable, contact Procurement Services before making the obligation to ensure that payment/reimbursement is allowed.
- Fund 11- Designated
- Fund 12 & 14 - Auxiliary
- Fund 19 - Restricted (must be an authorized purchase by granting agency)
- Fund 20 - Loan
- Fund 40 - Unexpended Plant (with the exception of State funded accounts)
- Fund 41 - Renewals and Replacements (with the exception of State funded accounts)
- Fund 42 - Retirement of Debt (with the exception of State funded accounts)
- Fund 50 - Agency
Payments for the following are authorized to be paid with University funds and can be processed through a check request:
- Filing and licensing fees
- Payments to grant subcontractors
- Postage/postal services
- Insurance premiums
- Board of Regent and student travel reimbursements
- Reimbursements to student organizations approved by Student Development
- Registration fees (only if a PCard is not feasible)
- Officials’ fees for athletic events
- Reimbursements to employees (see Employee Reimbursement Policy)
- Medical services for student athletes
- Employee moving expenses (see TWU Policy for moving expenses)
All of the following conditions must apply:
- The expense is an authorized University Business expense
- The business purpose is clearly stated on the Check Request form
- The amount of the expense is supported by adequate documentation (i.e. original receipts, invoice,
- The form has required Approvals (signatures) of appropriate TWU personnel.
The following approvals are required for all requests:
- Preparer - the employee responsible for initiating request. Include name, title, TWU extension, signature, & date. If there is a problem, the check request will be returned to the preparer.
- Account Manager - the individual authorized to approve expenditures for the account. Include name, signature & date. By signing, the authorizer accepts the authorizer certification printed on the form.
- Procurement Services – Following a review for compliance with State and TWU purchasing policies. Procurement Services provides the final approval for payment.
Additional approvals are required if applicable:
- Restricted Funds - check requests paid with Grant accounts require authorization from the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.
- Employee Supervisor - an individual cannot authorize his/her own reimbursement; the payee’s supervisor or an individual at a higher level than the payee must approve the check request.
- Departmental Vice President & Vice President for Finance and Administration - Payment for goods or services that should have been processed with a PCard or through the TWU Requisition and Purchase Order process will require these approvals.
- Financial Aid - If the payee is a student, the Check Request must be approved by the Office of Financial Aid.
The following documentation is necessary to support specific requests:
- Business meal reimbursement – a Food Purchase Justification Form must be included.
- Employee moving expenses – See Employee Moving Expenses for requirements. In addition, a copy of the appointment and allotted moving expenses, signed by the Provost, is required.
- Refunds - provide copy of original payment (receipt) to TWU, plus documentation supporting the reason for the refund.
To expedite the processing of a check request, the initiating department should:
- Carefully review the check request and confirm that all relevant supporting documentation is attached.
- Make sure payee information is provided and account information is accurate and complete.
- Keep copies of documents submitted.
The check request will be returned to the preparer if information is incomplete or not in compliance with State and/or TWU purchasing policies and guidelines.
Page last updated 12:20 PM, June 13, 2018