BS in Communication Sciences
Get started on your career as an educator of the deaf/hard of hearing or as a speech-language pathologist (SLP) with a bachelor’s degree in Communication Sciences from TWU. In this program, you will learn about typical communication development, communication disorders and intervention/teaching strategies to help children and adults become successful communicators.
This degree program is offered on campus in Denton.
Careers & Salaries
Career opportunities include:
- Speech-language pathology assistant
- Audiology assistant and/or hearing aid dispenser
- Early intervention specialist
- Teaching assistant or communication facilitator
- Listening and spoken language specialist for children who are deaf/hard of hearing
- Sign language interpreter
Salaries for these jobs vary.
Deaf educators fall within the special education field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for special education teachers is $57,910.
Why this degree at TWU?
We offer small interactive classes with accessible, knowledgeable and supportive faculty. You will take specialized coursework highlighting experiential learning. Practicum opportunities are available for qualified students.
This program requires 120 credit hours, and can be completed in four years, if you attend full-time. In the deaf education track, 40 of these hours are devoted to your major. In the SLP tack, 46 hours align with the major.
For specific course requirements, see the Undergraduate Catalog.
During the last semester of your senior year, you will take a comprehensive examination covering much of the course content from your undergraduate COMS courses. We recommend that you keep your notes and other major course materials to help you prepare for this exam.
How To Apply
Submit the undergraduate application to the department before the end of your sophomore year.
For the program emphasis in deaf education, you must have:
- 30 semester hours completed
- GPA of 3.0 or higher, either cumulative or over last 30 semester hours of coursework
For the SLP program emphasis, you must have:
- 30 semester hours completed, including prerequisites in biology, physics or chemistry, and statistics
- GPA of 3.25 or higher, either cumulative or over last 30 semester hours of coursework
Students who are not already attending TWU need to apply to TWU for admission prior to applying to this program.
For More Information