The following courses are designed to help you put theories into practice in the real world, allowing you to make informed decisions that improve your business.
All courses are held at STOKE (608 E Hickory St #128, Denton, TX 76205) at 5:30 pm and are free of charge. Courses are open to anyone wishing to attend, however, attendance is required for micro grant recipients. Award recipients must be present to complete grant requirements (there will be no livestreaming of classes).
Introduction to Small Business Ownership
Date and time: March 6, 5:30 p.m.
Taught by: Kerry Montz, Assistant Branch Manager; Business Outreach Librarian, North Branch, Denton Public Library; Heather Gregory, STOKE; Shannon Mantaro, CWB
- Meet your fellow class participants
- Learn the best strategies to meet new customers
- Meet and listen to current small business owners share their insights on owning and operating a business
- Understand the basic steps of small business start-ups and the resources available
Business Planning and Financing
Date and time: March 20, 5:30 p.m.
Taught by: Tracy Irby, Small Business Development Center (SBA); TWU Procurement
- How to start writing your own business plan
- How to obtain funds from a bank
- How to check your credit history and address any related credit problems
Date and time: March 27, 5:30 p.m.
Taught by: Jeff King, Ramey King Insurance
- Expands on the use of business insurance as one aspect of risk management for your business.
Financial Statements and Accounting
Date and time: April 3, 5:30 p.m.
Taught by: Terry Brawand, M.B.A. Lecturer – Accounting, Texas Woman's University. Terry Brawand's area of expertise includes financial accounting, income tax, government and not-for-profit accounting.
- How to do a cash flow statement for your business
- What taxes you will be required to pay, when and how to pay them
- How to keep track of simple financial records, how to keep books for your business and how this relates to your tax information
Date and time: April 10, 5:30 p.m.
Taught by: TBA
- Learn marketing strategies to identify your target market, advertise to that market and retain customers.
Date and time: April 17, 5:30 p.m.
Taught by: Jill E. Jester, Minor and Jester, P.C.
- Sole proprietorships/corporations, LLCs and partnerships
- Avoiding potential legal problems in your business