For more than 115 years, Texas Woman's University has held a distinctive purpose — to prepare women “for the practical industries of the age.” In 2015, the Texas Legislature established a special center focused on creating successful new women-owned businesses. TWU was the logical place to headquarter the Center for Women in Business.
TWU's Center for Women in Business, provides business owners and students interested in entrepreneurship with the training, funding, coaching and networking needed to be successful business owners.
To date, the TWU Center for Women Team has:
- Provided business advisement services for 100+ woman-entrepreneurs
- Hosted 30+ workshops and training related to business development and entrepreneurialism
- Initiated Women’s Enterprise Training and Micro Grant Program to help women business entrepreneurs start or expand a business
- Established a business reference library for use by students and community members
- Initiated a technology commercialization service for students and faculty to help promote business innovation at TWU
- Sponsored Texas Women's Foundation research highlighting the economic issues for women in Texas
- Awarded 40+ Minerva Scholarships to TWU undergraduate and graduate students interested in opening businesses upon graduation
- Compiled research highlighting the importance of women-owned businesses to the local, state and national economy
Why the Center for Women in Business at TWU?
TWU is the first and only Texas university—public or private—with the goal of generating new women-owned businesses.
With campuses in Denton, Dallas and Houston, TWU has a far-reaching network of Texas entrepreneurs, alumnae, business leaders, venture capitalists and economic development experts to mentor our students and business clients.
Our university programs focus on empowering women to succeed by developing the confidence to:
- Embrace and foster change,
- Enhance their quality of life, and
- Enrich the lives of others.
These principles are key in the entrepreneurial spirit.
Page last updated 9:56 AM, April 26, 2019