Master of Healthcare Administration
In as little as 24 months, you can have your Master of Healthcare Administration degree and be ready for the next step in your career.
Get a blend of real-world experience and theoretical knowledge needed in today’s healthcare administration roles with a master's degree from Texas Woman's. Healthcare administration is a rewarding and challenging career in a dynamic industry. We also offer an MHA with Business Analytics emphasis program, if you are interested in the data analysis side of healthcare management.
Our hybrid and online-format classes allow you to attend grad school in Houston and are televised to the Collin Higher Education Center in McKinney, TX - whichever is most convenient for you.
Why Healthcare Administration at TWU?
Three degrees and a certificate
The COB offers two MHA program tracks, a business analytics empasis option and a graduate certificate:
- Regular MHA
- Executive MHA
- MHA with Business Analytics Emphasis
Accredited and highly ranked
We are nationally recognized for our health services programs. For more than 20 years, this MHA program has earned national accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME).
Texas Woman’s also ranks 6th (tied) among U.S. universities for diversity, according to U.S. News & World Report.
The Master's Degree program in Health Care Administration is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME). In 2007, the HCA Program adopted the National Center for Healthcare Leadership (NCHL) competency integration model for healthcare education. The NCHL Model facilitates the spread of promising leadership practices by providing breakthrough research and a comprehensive database for defining the competencies required for outstanding leadership for the future (Copyright 2006. National Center for Healthcare Leadership. All Rights Reserved). Each course in the HCA curriculum is mapped to applicable NCHL competencies.
Benefits of an Accredited Program
- The CAHME accreditation process benefits all stakeholders: Texas Woman’s University and the College of Health Sciences, MHA students, alumni and employers.
- Participation in the CAHME accreditation process affirms the program’s responsibility for the quality of education offered and demonstrates commitment to continuous improvement.
- The HCA program has completed a rigorous self-evaluation and peer reviews and it satisfies criteria established and accepted by the health care administration education community.
- The program has a clearly defined mission and educationally appropriate objectives.
- Accreditation assures prospective employers that TWU MHA graduates come from a program where the content and quality have been evaluated to satisfy high standards.
- The employer can be confident that the MHA program has followed a specific core body of knowledge, as dictated by CAHME, which ensures the understanding of today’s complex health care environment.
- The HCA program is current and reflects changes in knowledge and practice generally accepted in the health care administration community.
A private school education at a public school price
Part of the Texas Woman’s experience is keeping costs low and education quality high. As a result, TWU is the most affordable public university in the DFW Metroplex. For more information on costs, visit our Cost of Attendance site.
Our small class sizes also allow you to interact closely with your classmates and professors.
TWU does more to build women leaders
Only 5.4 percent of Fortune 500 CEOs are women, and only 25 percent of senior managers and executives within those companies are women. TWU is working to help change that.
More than 70 percent of our faculty and staff across the university are women. While COB faculty prepare you to tackle the male-dominated world of business, our outreach staff work closely with employers to bring networking and employment opportunities to campus.
For our budding entrepreneurs, TWU’s Center for Women in Business is the state’s only university center dedicated to women’s entrepreneurship and business ownership. The Center provides tools for you to succeed including access to training/coaching, funding, mentoring and networking opportunities.
TWU believes in opening doors for its students
The Career Connections Center on each campus provides advising services and tailored career planning for our students and alumni, from career advising and networking to negotiating a salary after graduation. The Career Center has also implemented Handshake, a unique resume reviewing and job opening database that works to fast-track your job search.
The COB takes it one step further with a team of Outreach and External Relations staff that work with the Career Connections Center to keep our business students in-the-know on employment opportunities and networking events.
Careers & Salaries*
With this degree, you have multiple career opportunities including:
- Director of Strategic Planning: $120,832
- Top Executive: $103,950 per year
- Administrative Service Manager: $98,930 per year
- Medical and Health Service Manager: $96,540 per year
- Hospital Administrator: $90,409 per year
- Healthcare Consultant: $75,183 per year
- Medical Practice Manager: $58,607 per year
MHA Program Requirements
- 45 semester credit hours in required courses including six elective hours
- A professional portfolio completed in your final semester and presented to faculty.
A full list of courses and requirements are available in the course catalog.
Executive MHA Requirements
If you have three or more years of management experience, you may qualify for the Executive MHA track, which waives the GRE/GMAT and foundation courses requirements seen in the regular track.
You must be able to demonstrate your contemporary knowledge of the healthcare field and experience with management principles in leadership positions.
- GMAT/GRE (Not required in executive track and the certificate)
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited university
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
- Apply to the TWU Graduate School
- Email letter of interest, resume and three letters of reference from professional contacts (one letter must be from your current employer) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prerequisite coursework may be required based on previous academic and/or professional experience
- A brief interview may be required
TWU’s general requirements for graduate admission.
For More Information
Senior Secretary, Houston
Page last updated 10:47 AM, October 30, 2018