Herbarium Mission and Goals
The mission of TWU Herbarium is to:
- Provide a representation of plant communities that have existed in North-central Texas since the beginning of the last century;
- Maintain, build, and make the collection available for study by research scientists around the world;
- Serve as an educational resource for instruction and community outreach by:
- Providing reference for the identification of specimens for students and community;
- Using the collection to generate information disseminated through exhibits, lectures, workshops and other educational and outreach activities
- Serve as a repository for research voucher specimens.
The immediate goals of the TWU Herbarium are to:
- Increase the extent of curation for the collection;
- Build the Herbarium by adding specimens and actively soliciting donations and exchanges of specimens for the purpose of improving/strengthen our collection;
- Develop an information base and inventory of the collection that will facilitate the accessing and dissemination of the TWU Herbarium data;
- Provide access to the collection to all research scientists through an active loan program and digitization.
Page last updated 3:43 PM, February 1, 2017