Apply to the TWU Biology Graduate Program Today
Requirements for Admission into the M.S. in Biology or Ph.D. in Molecular Biology
Applications for admission to the university should be submitted through the Office of Graduate Admissions. International students should be sure to review all international admissions requirements and application procedures.
In addition to your TWU graduate admissions application, the biology department requires:
- A letter from you describing your scientific/research training and your career goals. Please indicate how your goals align with our graduate research program.
- Three letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with your academic preparation and career goals.
These items should be submitted by mail or as an email attachment to the following addresses:
TWU Biology Department
PO Box 425799
Denton, TX 76204-5799
Once all required materials are received, a faculty committee will review your credentials and make a recommendation regarding admission.
The majority of our graduate students are supported through graduate assistantships. The appointment is made within the department and applications must be sent to the biology department chair. Three letters of recommendation should be sent to that address (by mail or email). Appointments will be made based on the following considerations:
- Timeliness of applications: In most years, the number of applications received by February will exceed the openings expected for the following academic year (beginning in September). Apply early!
- Qualifications and departmental need: The specialization, i.e. previous training in subdisciplines of biology, bacteriology, botany or zoology will be considered. The applicant's skills will be matched with laboratories for which assistants will be needed.
- Budget considerations: Funding of the departmental budget must be secured before binding appointments can be made.
Appointment Offer: Time Period of Appointments
Inquiries about the likelihood of receiving an appointment can be made anytime. Appointments for biology graduate students are extended for one academic year (nine months). Summer teaching is limited and summer appointments often only cover five weeks of the three months June-August.
Need more information?
For questions about the TWU graduate admissions process, please contact:
For questions about the TWU biology department's required materials or graduate assistantships, please contact:
TWU Biology Department
Page last updated 11:57 AM, February 4, 2019