Graduate Admissions Overview
- Application deadlines vary by program. Most graduate degree programs accept applications year-round, with exceptions. Check the graduate catalog for details.
- Average application processing time varies from 3-8 weeks, depending on the programs application process
- Apply early for benefits, including:
- Stay up-to-date on the status of your application by creating your Pioneer Portal account and logging into WebAdvisor
Note: Admission to the University does not automatically guarantee admission to a particular college, school or program.
TWU's Graduate School establishes the minimum requirements for admission to all graduate degree and certificate programs. Check the graduate catalog for specific program admission criteria. The general requirements for admission are:
- Hold an earned bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a U.S. college or university accredited by a regional or general accrediting agency, or an equivalent degree from a foreign college or university
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA for the last 60 hours of undergraduate study and a minimum 3.0 GPA for all prior graduate work*
- Satisfy any additional requirements of an individual academic component for admission to a specific graduate program offered by that department and may include:
- Preferred standardized exam scores
- Review of completed undergraduate and graduate coursework
- Reference letters, essays, interviews and evidence of scholarly activity
- International and permanent resident applicants must submit one of the following to show English proficiency.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (iBT);
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 or higher;
- GRE verbal score of 500 (153, Revised GRE) or higher; or
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic score of 53 or above
- See International Admission for further information about English proficiency requirements
*Some academic departments will consider applicants with GPAs slightly below 3.0 for provisional admission. Contact the department for details.
How to Apply
The $50 fee ($75 for international students), which applies to all applicants (new and returning) can be paid by:
- Credit card online through ApplyTexas.org
- Certified check or money order payable to TWU sent by mail to Admissions Processing at (include the applicant’s full name and ID number):
TWU Office of Admissions Processing
P.O. Box 425649
Denton, TX 76204-564
- Cash (no personal checks) at the Bursar's Office. After paying, bring your receipt to Admissions Processing (first floor of ADM).
Application fee waivers are granted only when you submit an official SAT/ACT fee waiver form.
- Official transcripts from each college or university you have attended, undergraduate and graduate:
- Electronic transcripts must be sent through a secured system directly from the school to TWU
- Printed transcripts must be sent to TWU directly from the school or delivered personally in a sealed envelope from the institution
- Any sign of tampering will render the transcript unofficial and invalid
- For more information regarding transcripts, please visit Admissions Processing
- Official GRE, GMAT or other exam scores - if required by the department or program. Our institution code is 6826.
- TOEFL or TOEFL exemption form (permanent residents and international applicants only)
- Copy of your permanent resident card, if applicable - If you have applied for permanent residency but have not yet received the INS form Notice of Action i-797 verifying approval, you will be processed as an international student.
Send certified checks, money orders, fee waivers and application materials to:
TWU Admissions Processing
P.O. Box 425649
Denton, Texas 76204-5649
or via expedited mail to:
304 Administration Dr.
Denton, TX 76204 (no Saturday delivery)
Page last updated 4:16 PM, October 24, 2019