Academic Probation

What is Academic Probation?

Students who fail to maintain academic good standing are placed on academic probation or suspension. Academic standing is determined based on cumulative GPA at the end of the fall, spring, and summer semesters dependent on number of attempted hours. Students previously in good academic standing who fail to achieve the minimum cumulative GPA for their number of attempted hours will be placed on academic probation. Students placed on academic probation may enroll any following semester, and are required to meet with an advisor before registering. If, upon enrolling, the student achieves the minimum cumulative GPA for their number of attempted hours, the student is then returned to good academic standing. If the student does not attain that minimum, but does earn a semester GPA of at least 2.0 on six or more semester credit hours, the student is on continued probation.

For summer, the six or more semester credit hours can be in any combination of the summer terms. Students will not be placed on probation at the end of the summer term who were not previously on probation entering the term. However, summer work that raises the cumulative GPA above the minimum will return the student to good academic standing.

A student on probation may not apply for graduation.

What should I do if I’m notified that I’m on academic probation?

If you are notified that you have been placed on Academic Probation, you will be provided academic support through the Pioneers Achieving Student Success (PASS) program. The PASS program provides students with the academic tools and resources they need to develop a plan towards achieving academic success.

As part of the PASS program, you will have an academic hold on your account that will prevent you from registering until after you meet with your PASS Advisor. The PASS Advisor also serves as your academic college’s Coordinator of Academic Advising. This meeting is conducted in addition to your regular advising appointment, and must be completed prior to having your probation hold lifted for registration. To schedule your appointment, you must contact your PASS Advisor and complete the PASS Intake Form prior to your meeting.

Please schedule your PASS Advisor appointment as soon as you receive notification of your academic probation status to develop your academic plan for success.

Campus resources to utilize:

Academic Coaching
Blagg-Huey Library 2nd Floor
Located in the Pioneer Center for Student Excellence
What they can help with: test taking skills, note taking skills, study skills, time management, and academic motivation.

TWU Write Site
Blagg-Huey Library 235
What they can help with: individualized writing assistance, workshops, and seminars.

Math & Technology Success Center
Multipurpose Classroom Laboratory (MCL) 307
What they can help with: tutoring in math, technology, and statistics courses.

Science Learning Resource Center
Ann Stuart Science Complex (ASSC) 365
What they can help with: tutoring in science courses.

Counseling & Psychological Services
West Jones Hall
What they can help with: individual therapy, couples therapy, group therapy, crisis intervention, mental health resources

Student Health Services
Jones Hall
What they can help with: care for medical issues, mental health services, well woman/well man exams, complete physical exams, prescriptions and refills, lab and imaging tests, referrals to specialist, etc.

Career Connections Center
Woodcock Hall 200
What they can help with: exploring different career paths and majors, resumes, interviews, and job search assistance.

What will happen if I don’t make a 2.0 GPA during the semester?

Outcome 1: At the end of the probation semester, the student has achieved the minimum cumulative GPA required based on the number of hours the student has attempted. The student is returned to good academic standing.

Outcome 2: At the end of the semester, the student has not achieved the minimum cumulative GPA, but has achieved a 2.0 on at least six credit hours for the semester. The student continues on academic probation.

Outcome 3: At the end of the semester, the student has not returned to good academic standing and is not eligible to continue probation. The student is placed on academic suspension (link to academic suspension section of the website) and may not enroll at TWU for at least one long semester (fall or spring). At the end of the suspension period, the student must file a Suspension Recovery Plan before they may return to TWU.

Students are placed on academic probation if their cumulative GPA is less than the minimum requirement for their total attempted hours. This requirement is 1.8 if 29 hours or less, and 2.0 for 30 hours or more. All further information is found in the text of the webpage.

How can I improve my GPA and get off Academic Probation?

The most effective way to raise your GPA is to retake courses you’ve previously earned a grade of D or F.  When a course is taken more than once, the grade used to compute the student’s GPA is the highest earned grade.

What if I want to appeal my probation?

Students who would like to appeal their probation should follow the same steps and procedures for all TWU Academic/Administrative Complaints and Appeals. Each type of appeal must be submitted via email no later than ten days after the date of the original decision or decision at the previous level. The ten days for appeals at each level do not include weekends, holidays, or days between academic sessions. The administrator receiving the appeal will respond via email within ten days not including weekends, holidays, or days between academic sessions.

The TWU Academic/Administrative Complaint and Appeal Form [Word] is to be used for appeals. The form may be completed electronically and submitted by email to the appropriate office within ten days of the occurrence of the decision. Addendums are permissible to concisely document the complaint and may be attached to the email or delivered to the corresponding office. Please print a copy of the completed document at each level for your records.

Page last updated 4:26 PM, February 7, 2020