New Student Checklist to Start VA Benefits
- Apply for admission to Texas Woman’s University.
- Request your official Military Transcript to receive college credit for military training. This is a requirement from VA and all students must request their official transcript. Skip this step if you are the dependent or spouse.
- Complete the online GI Bill application to transfer or apply for benefits.
Transferring students fill out VA 22-1995 form if you are using GI Bill beneftis except CH 35 (DEA). CH 35 recipients fill out VA 22-5495.
Students applying for the first time will fill out the 22-1990 form for GI Bill benefits. Dependents and spouses who will be using CH 33 (post 9/11) benefits will need to fill out 22-1990e. New CH 35 recipients fill out VA 22-5490.
- Requried Documents for Certifying Official
DD 214 (not required for Dependents)
VONAPP Data Information print out
Certificate Of Eligibility (COE), once recieved from VA
Degree Plan (required after you have talked with an advisor)
If your using GI bill benfits you can also apply for Financial Aid. If you choose to you can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at this site (FAFSA).
- Attend New Student Orientation, if required, or contact your Academic Advisor to register for classes and obtain a copy of your degree plan. When requesting your degree plan let your Academic Advisor know that you are using military education benefits.
- Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Montgomery GI Bill
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- CH 35 Dependent Education Assistance
Might qualify for the Hazlewood Act. Please review information under Hazlewood Tuition Exemption Link
- Hazlewood Tuition Exemption
- Hazlewood Legacy
Military Spouse Career Advancement Account
Once Accepted into University
If you do not have at least 13 college credit hours you will need to attend "Freshman Orientation." You will need to contact the Veteran office to request that the "Orientation Hold" is lifted so you can register for your classes. You will still have to attend the orientation but because of veteran status the hold is lifted so that your term will be submitted to Veteran Affairs. If you do not attend the orientation after the hold has been lifted, your term may be terminated, resulting in a debt to VA that the student will need to pay.
NOTE: The hold is only lifted for those veterans and dependents using any type of GI Bill benefits. Hazlewood is Not a GI Bill Benefit.
- Please read thoroughly the Policy and Procedure letter on how your certificaiton will be processed.
- Create a Pioneer Portal account.
- Fill out the Veteran Intent to Register Form and submit to the VA Certifying Official located in the Office of the Registrar. Please read the policy and procedure letter before filling out the intent form.
- Register for classes
- Request access into the Veteran and Dependant Blackboard Organization (VADP) by contacting the TWU Certifying official's office at email@example.com ,
- All students using GI Bill benefits are required to submit the Intent to Register form or Advisor's Worksheet to the Veteran Certifying Official's office before a certification is submitted to VA for payment.
Note: If after 48hours of submitting your intent form and have not yet recieved an email from VA or recieved a notification in Blackboard under "Certification Status" contact the Certifying offical's office at (940)898-3069 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
page last updated 11/2/2015 3:21 PM