skip to content

University Art Collection

Overview

Chancellor and President Ann Stuart revived interest in the University Art Collection in 2001 with plans to support through annual acquisitions the work of TWU students, alumni, faculty and staff. There are now more than 200 pieces of artwork in the collection, including selections that can be toured online or when visiting the TWU campus.

TWU is proud of its commitment to support the arts:

  • The Department of Visual Arts at TWU was one of the five original departments of the school in 1903.CD1
  • When the department moved into its current building in 1936, TWU was the first institution in the state to have a separate building dedicated to the study of studio arts.
  • TWU has hosted distinguished artists such as Lazlo Moholy-Nagy, Hans Hoffman and Alexander Hogue as visiting artists and teachers. Noted photographer Carlotta Corpron was the head of the photography area for more than 30 years.
  • In the late 1930s, Eleanor Roosevelt dedicated the University's Little Chapel-in-the-Woods, a prairie-style structure designed by O'Neil Ford. Under the direction of Professor Dorothy Antoinette LaSelle, the art students designed and fabricated the stained glass windows, metal work, wood carvings and mosaics adorning the structure.


Take a virtual tour of the collection available for public viewing.

TWU Fine Arts Building
The Visual Arts program was the first in Texas to have its own building.