The Masters in Health Systems Management (MHSM) is designed to prepare future executives to assume responsible positions in health care organizations. The program emphasizes three general areas:
- The Health Care Environment
History and organization of the health care system, the utilization and quality of health care, policy and legal aspects.
- Management Science
Organizational and operational analysis, human resource management, financial and quantitative analysis.
- Strategy and Leadership
Strategic planning and leadership behavior with an emphasis on ethical, social and community responsibilities.
Features of the Program
- Courses are offered in the evening or on Saturday to meet the schedule of working professionals.
- Course location and format is different for BUS vs. HSM courses:
- HSM courses are offered at the TWU-Dallas campus and are typically for the full semester
- BUS courses are offered as part of the EMBA program. Info regarding format and location is provided at EMBA.
- Skills in word processing and spreadsheet applications are used throughout this program.
- Undergraduate degree from accredited university
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
- No GMAT or GRE requirements
- Apply to the University
- Email resume to EMBA@twu.edu
- Email two (2) letters of recommendation to EMBA@twu.edu
Program of Study
Semester Credit Hours Required
45 semester credit hours.
|Required Courses (36 SCH)|
|BUS 5133||Marketing Management||3|
|BUS 5433||Managerial Accounting||3|
|BUS 5523||Management and Organization||3|
|HSM 5003||Management of Health Services Organizations||3|
|HSM 5033||Health Services Human Resource Management||3|
|HSM 5043||Legal Foundations of Health Systems Management||3|
|HSM 5053||Quantitative Methods in Health Systems Management||3|
|HSM 5063||Financial Management for Health Systems Management||3|
|HSM 5183||Health Resources and Policy Analysis||3|
|HSM 5263||Advanced Financial Management for Health Systems Management||3|
|HSM 5903||Special Topics (Analysis and Management of Health in Populations)||3|
|HSM 5933||Capstone Seminar in Health Systems Management||3|
|Electives (9 SCH)|
|Select nine semester credit hours from any graduate level HSM, BUS, or ECO course not shown above.||9|
|Total Semester Credit Hours||45|
Recommendations Regarding Course Sequence
- HSM 5003, HSM 5033, HSM 5053, HSM 5183, HSM 5903, BUS 5433 should be taken early in the program.
- BUS 5433, HSM 5063, and HSM 5263 must be taken in this order.
- HSM 5043 should be taken toward the end of the program.
- HSM 5933 serves as the Capstone course for the program and should be taken in a student's final semester. Enrollment in HSM 5933 will not be allowed prior to completion of all of the HSM courses listed in the above recommendations.
Additional Program Information
page last updated 5/15/2015 3:50 PM