Alpha Kappa Delta is the International Sociology Honor Society dedicated to encouragement and recognition of academic excellence and achievement in sociology and to promotion of an interest in sociology, research in social problems, and activities leading to human welfare.
Mission and History
Founded in 1920 by Dr. Edward Bogardus at the University of Southern California, AKD takes its name from three Greek words, "anthropon" (humankind), "katamanthanein" (to investigate thoroughly), and "diakonesein" (for the purpose of service). AKD has over 430 chapters in the United States and several other countries, and publishes a well-respected professional journal Sociological Inquiry. This organization shall be a non-secret, democratic, international society of scholars dedicated to the ideal of Anthropon Katamanthanein Diakonesein or "to investigate humanity for the purpose of service." It shall be the purpose of this Society to promote an interest in the study of Sociology, research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.
AKD History at TWU: Alpha Kappa Delta, the International Sociology Honor Society, was established at TWU in 1936. The purpose as defined in the creation of the society is to investigate humanity for the purpose of service. The goal of AKD at TWU is to further academic excellence through student interaction. Activities of the chapter include projects within the University and assisting in the recruitment of students from other countries.
National Membership Requirements
Membership is open to undergraduate and graduate sociology students who meet the following requirements:
- Must be an officially declared sociology major, minor, concentrator or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program at TWU
- Must be at least a junior, and must have ranked in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship or accumulated an overall GPA of 3.3.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail)
The $50 fee for lifetime membership also includes a one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry. Application_Form_2014 [Word]
Dues for existing Lifetime Members to be Active with the Delta of Texas Chapter is $10 a Semester or $20 an Academic Year.
Associate Membership Requirements
Any potential member who does not meet the requirements outlined under the National Membership may join as an Associate Member.
Associate membership in this chapter is open to everyone that has an interest in the study of sociology, research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities that will lead to improvement in the human condition. They shall be students, non-students, community members, non-sociology faculty, and staff who wish to participate in the organization; however, they may not vote or hold office.
The fee for associate membership is $10 a Semester or $20 an Academic Year. Application_Form_Associate_Member.docx [Word]
Who To Contact [2016-2017 Executive Board]
- William Ash-Houchen, President: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LaWanna Fant, Interim Vice President: email@example.com
- Michaela Wilson, Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rosabel Ramirez, Treasurer: email@example.com
- Heather Gerling, Community Service Relations Liaison: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more Information please contact AKD.DeltaofTexas@gmail.com
Alpha Kappa Delta, Delta of Texas Chapter
TWU Department of Sociology & Social Work
P.O. Box 425887
Denton, TX 76204
page last updated 1/3/2017 2:14 PM