940-898-2616 SH 411
“... we have no choice of what color we’re born or who our parents are or whether we’re rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we’re here.”
From Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor (Dial, 1976)
Ph.D., 1983, University of Minnesota
Curriculum and Instruction: Children’s Literature/Language Arts
B.S., 1976, University of Texas
- Associate Professor, University of Texas at Arlington, School of Education
- Assistant Professor, University of Nevada at Las Vegas, College of Education
- Associate Professor and Fulbright Scholar, University of Zimbabwe
- Assistant Professor, University of Houston-Victoria, Division of Education
- At Master’s level: LS 5603 Literature for Children and Young Adults, LS 5623 Advanced Literature for Young Adults, LS 5653 Multicultural Children’s Literature, LS 5663 Poetry for Children
- At Doctoral level: LS 6643 Nonfiction for Children and Young Adults, LS 6633 Materials and Services for the Very Young Child, LS 6623 History of Children’s Literature
- Advises an average of 50 MLS students each semester
- Has chaired/is chairing 12 dissertations and theses
- Originated and edits Librarians’ Choices, an annual review and selection guide for the latest books for children and young adults
- 2014 recipient of the Scholastic Library Publishing Award presented to a librarian whose “unusual contribution to the stimulation and guidance of reading by children and young people” exemplifies outstanding achievement in the profession.
- Texas Woman’s University, College of Professional Education: Teacher of the Year Award, 2003, 2012; Outstanding Academic Mentor/Advisor Award, 2010
Dr. Vardell has authored or co-authored more than one hundred published articles and has contributed chapters to or has authored more than twenty-five books including:
- Vardell, S. M. and Wong, J. (2015). The symbiosis of science and poetry. Children and Libraries. Spring, 13, (1), 15-18.
- Vardell, S. M. (2015). The poetry Friday anthology for celebrations. Pomelo Books (with Janet Wong).
- Vardell, S.M. (2014). The poetry Friday anthology for science. Pomelo Books (with Janet Wong).
- Vardell, S. M. (2014). Painting the poetry landscape: Twenty-five years of poetry for young people in The Newbery and Caldecott awards: A guide to the medal and honor books. American Library Association.
- Vardell, S.M. (2013). The poetry Friday anthology for middle school. Pomelo Books (with Janet Wong).
- Vardell, S.M. (2012). The poetry Friday anthology. Pomelo Books (with Janet Wong).
- Vardell, S.M. (2012). The poetry teacher’s book of lists. Pomelo Books.
- Vardell, S.M. (2006/2014). Poetry aloud here!: Sharing poetry with children. American Library Association.
- Vardell, S.M. (2007). Poetry people: A practical guide to children’s poets. Libraries Unlimited.
- Vardell, S.M. (2008/2014). Children’s literature in action: A librarian’s guide. Libraries Unlimited.
- Dr. Vardell is the regular poetry columnist for Book Links magazine published by the American Library Association and maintains a regular professional blog on sharing poetry with young people, PoetryforChildren http://poetryforchildren.blogspot.com/.
- Dr. Vardell has edited digital anthologies of poetry for young people with collaborator Janet Wong: PoetryTagtime; p*tag; Gift Tag; The Poetry Friday Anthology.
- Received more than $150,000 in federal and other grants
- Co-Chair, ALSC Morris Seminar, Association for Library Service to Children
- Member, Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults Committee, Young Adult Library Services Association
- Member, Wilder Award Committee, Association for Library Service to Children
- Member, Arbuthnot Committee, Association for Library Service to Children
- Member, Sibert Award for Informational Books, American Library Association
- Member, Odyssey Award for Outstanding Audiobooks, ALSC/YALSA
- Dr. Vardell served as editor of Bookbird, the journal of the International Board on Books for Young People.
- President, United States Board on Books for Young People
- Co-Chair, National Council of Teachers of English Excellence in Poetry for Children Award
- Judge, Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award
- Chair, Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children
- Dr. Vardell has also made more than one hundred and fifty presentations at the regional and national level.
page last updated 9/15/2016 1:31 PM