The Master of Library Science (MLS) degree is available entirely online and is designed to prepare professionals to work in information environments including:
- Academic libraries
- Public libraries
- School libraries
- Corporate and other special libraries
This preparation is achieved by: 1) the acquisition of knowledge in a set of courses basic to an understanding of library and information studies; 2) advanced instruction in courses selected according to the student's career goals; 3) completion of a practicum or internship (may be waived if the student has had comparable and substantial experience in a library or other information environment, to be replaced with an advisor approved elective).
Total hours: 36
Steps to Admission
- Apply to SLIS. Only complete application packets will be considered. Applicants are responsible for keeping their contact information current. Submit the following materials, in a single, complete mailing, to TWU SLIS, PO Box 425438, Denton, TX 76204-5438.
- A SLIS application form (pdf)
- A resume
- 3 letters of recommendation
- A 2-page statement of intent (your professional goals and career interests)
2. Apply to the TWU Graduate School.
- SLIS requires the submission of an official standardized test score as part of the application to the Graduate School. Official test scores are accepted from the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT or Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Preferred scores fall at or above national aggregate medians for available demographic variables.
- Note: Applicants holding a prior graduate degree are not required to submit the standardized test score.
Applications continue to be accepted until all available spaces are filled.
The preferred application deadlines are July 1 for the Fall semester, December 1 for the Spring semester, and May 1 for the Summer semester.
Core Courses for the MLS degree: 21 hours
- LS 5083 Foundations of Library and Information Studies
- LS 5013 Information Organization and Retrieval
- LS 5043 Information and Communication Technology
- LS 5003 Collection Development
- LS 5263 Information Sources and Services
- LS 5383 Library Management
- LS 5843 Practicum
Library Science Electives: 15 hours
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact Ms. Brenda Mallory in the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
page last updated 12/18/2014 1:57 PM