940-898-2152 SH 410
Ph.D., 2008, Emporia State University
M.L.S., 2000, Emporia State University
B.A., 1995, University of Nevada Reno
- Original Cataloger, University of Kansas
- Adjunct Instructor, Emporia State University
- Serials Cataloger for Documents, Portland State University
- At Master’s level: LS 5103 Cataloging and Classification – Quality Matters recognized course
- At Master’s level: LS 5013 Information Organization and Retrieval
- At Master’s level: LS 5003 Collection Development
- At Master’s level: LS 5723 Advanced Cataloging
- At Master’s level: LS 5143 Technical Services
- Hoffman, Gretchen L. 2015. “What's the Difference between Soul Food and Southern Cooking? The Classification of Cookbooks in American Libraries.” In Dethroning the Deceitful Pork Chop: Rethinking African American Foodways from Slavery to Obama, edited by Jennifer Jensen Wallach, 61-78. Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas Press.
- Snow, Karen, and Gretchen L. Hoffman. (In press). “What Makes an Effective Cataloging Course? A Study of the Factors that Promote Learning.” Library Resources & Technical Services 59: 187-99.
- Hoffman, Gretchen L. 2013. How are cookbooks classified in libraries? An examination of LCSH and LCC. Paper presented at the fourth North American Symposium on Knowledge Organization, Milwaukee, WI.
- Hoffman, Gretchen L. 2012. Could the functional future of bibliographic control change cataloging work? An exploration using Abbott. Journal of Library Metadata 12: 111-26.
- Hoffman, Gretchen L. 2012. Using the Quality Matters rubric to improve online cataloging courses. Cataloging & Classification Quarterly 50: 158-71.
- Hoffman, Gretchen L. 2010. Negotiating normative institutional pressures and maintaining legitimacy in a complex work environment: A multiple case study of three academic cataloging units. Advances in Library Administration and Organization 29: 243-92.
- Hoffman, Gretchen L. 2010. Response to Barbara Tillett, re: Meeting users’ needs in cataloging: What is the right thing to do? Cataloging & Classification Quarterly 48: 346-47.
- Hoffman, Gretchen L. 2009. Meeting users’ needs in cataloging: What is the right thing to do? Cataloging & Classification Quarterly 47: 631-41.
- Hoffman, Gretchen L. 2009. Applying the user-centered paradigm to cataloging standards in theory and practice: Problems and prospects. Paper presented at the second North American Symposium on Knowledge Organization, Syracuse, NY.
- Hoffman, Gretchen L. 2009. Meeting users’ needs in cataloging: What is the right thing to do? Paper presented at the first Ethics of Information Organization conference, Milwaukee, WI.
- TWU Faculty Senate, 2015 to present
- TWU University Curriculum Committee, 2015 to present
- TWU Strategic Planning Team, 2015 to present
- TWU Student Code of Conduct Review Committee, 2012 to present
- TWU Faculty Development Leave Committee, 2013 to present
- COPE Strategic Planning Committee, 2014 to present
- Member and Chair of various SLIS Committees, 2007 to present
- Convener, Technical Services Education Special Interest Group, Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE), 2015 to present
- Alternate Councilor, Cataloging and Metadata Round Table, Texas Library Association, 2013 to present
- Quality Matters Peer Reviewer, 2012 to present
- Texas Woman’s University Faculty Development Grant, 2013-2014, $1,000.
- Distinction in Distance Education Award, Texas Woman’s University, 2013
- Outstanding Faculty Award for Teacher in Distance Education, TWU College of Professional Education, 2011
- Beta Phi Mu: International Library & Information Studies Honor Society, 2009
page last updated 5/24/2016 9:01 AM