The Graduate Certificate is for those interested in becoming:
- a health science librarian
- a manager in a health science or nursing facility
- an evidence-based practicing professional in a health science or nursing facility
- a faculty member in health science librarianship
Total hours: 21 for those without the MLS degree; 12 for those holding the MLS
Applicants for the certificate program must meet one of the following two conditions:
- Possession of a graduate degree (masterís or doctoral) in a discipline in Nursing, Health Sciences, or Library Science; OR
- Admission to a graduate degree program in the TWU College of Nursing, College of Health Sciences, or School of Library and Information Studies.
For students with a masterís degree, a Certificate of Evidence-Based Health Science Librarianship is awarded when the student completes all course requirements for the certificate program.†For students pursuing a masterís degree concurrently, the certificate is awarded after the student completes all requirements for the graduate degree.
Steps to Admission
Applicants must apply to both the TWU Graduate School and SLIS. See steps 1 and 2 below.
1. Apply to the TWU Graduate School. Indicate Graduate Certificate as the admission option on the application form.†
No standard test score is required if your undergraduate GPA is 3.0 or above, or if you have another graduate degree.
- If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, you are required to submit an official standardized test score as part of the application to the Graduate School.† Official test scores are accepted from the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT or Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
2.†Apply to SLIS. Only complete application packets will be considered. Applicants are responsible for keeping their contact information current. Submit the following† materials, in a single, complete mailing, to TWU SLIS, PO Box 425438, Denton, TX 76204-5438, OR submit the materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A†SLIS application form†(fillable PDF form; Chrome browser recommended).†Please indicate on the form that you plan to pursue the Graduate Certificate in Evidence-Based Health Science Librarianship without MLS.
- A resume
- A 2-page statement of intent (your professional goals and career interests)
- 3 professional reference letters sent via postal mail on official letterhead OR sent via email (to email@example.com) directly from the name of the reference
- Applications continue to be accepted for Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
- The preferred application deadlines are July 1 for the Fall semester, December 1 for the Spring semester, and May 1 for the Summer semester.
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact Cyndee Tanttari in the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Library Science Core Courses: 9 hours
- LS 5083 Foundations of Library and Information Studies
- LS 5053 Information Retrieval (formerly LS 5013)
- LS 5043 Information and Communication Technology
Note: Applicants holding the Master of Library Science degree can waive these required Library Science core courses (9 hours).
Required Health Informatics Courses: 9 hours
- LS 5363 Health Sciences Information Services†Management
- LS 5473 Health Reference Services and Resources
- LS 5483 Consumer Health Information Resources
Required Practicum: 3 hours
- LS 5843 Practicum: Evidence-Based Practice in a Health Science Library
For More Information
For questions about the Graduate Certificate in Evidence-Based Health Science Librarianship program, please contact Dr. Carol Perryman at email@example.com or 940-898-2612.
U.S. Department of Education Gainful Employment Disclosure
page last updated 1/19/2017 2:22 PM