|Policy Name:||Emeritus Faculty|
|Review Next:||November 2016|
The designation of emeritus professor is an honor for those individuals providing longstanding, exemplary achievement as a faculty member at Texas Woman's University. Consideration of emeritus status requires:
- 10 consecutive years of dedicated and loyal services as faculty members to Texas Woman's University;
- a record of distinguished achievement as a teacher, scholar and/or academic innovator as recognized either within or external to the University;
- nomination by one Texas Woman's University faculty member, with the nomination including three letters of internal or external support and a copy of the candidate's Curriculum Vitae;
- endorsement in the home academic component by a simple majority vote of the current faculty;
- a single nomination within three years after retirement from the University
Each March, the Provost's Office will request emeritus faculty nominations from each academic component, including nominations of faculty on the retirement teaching option. Nominations and supporting materials may be submitted to the Provost's Office throughout the year for review by the Provost and Senior Associate Provost. Faculty on the retirement teaching option (RTO) can be nominated for consideration of emeritus status in their last year of their RTO plan. Typically, recommendations for emeritus status will be presented to the Texas Woman's University Board of Regents by the Provost in June of each year.
A faculty member granted emeritus status shall have the title of Professor Emeritus/Emerita, and have: access to email; library borrowing privileges, including access to digital collections; applicable software discounts; a new TWU Identification Card noting their Emeritus status; and access to parking in Denton and Dallas on University-owned property. When practical, a home academic component may designate office space or other support for emeritus faculty. Emeritus faculty may be invited, though not required, to teach on appropriate occasions or to participate in other suitable University service.
page last updated 8/16/2016 11:02 AM