Welcome to the Master’s program in Counseling Psychology at Texas Woman’s University. On behalf of our faculty, I am delighted to learn of your interest in our feminist, multicultural program and welcome your application. Our community of dedicated and talented faculty and students look forward to meeting you. We encourage you to spend time visiting our website which has been created with both applicants and current students in mind. As you research our program, I hope you’ll obtain answers to your questions, as well as get a sense of our commitment to—and enthusiasm for—training. Please feel free to contact me or any member of the Counseling Psychology faculty at any time.
Debra Mollen, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Director, Master’s Program in Counseling Psychology
Criteria for Admission:
- Recommended GRE: 153 (500) V, 144 (500) Q, Analytic Writing 4.0.
- GPA: 3.0 or higher in last 60 hours of undergraduate work; 3.5 in psychology classes. If graduate master’s work has been completed, a 3.5 is desirable.
- Eighteen hours of undergraduate psychology coursework including:
- Introduction to Psychology/General Psychology
- Developmental Psychology (Life Span)
- Experimental Psychology/Research Design/Research Methods
- Cognitive Psychology/Psychology of Learning
- Psychology Elective
Please pay close attention to the application deadlines and instructions listed below, as late or incomplete applications will not be accepted or considered. There are two parts to the application process:
Part I: Graduate School Application Procedures
Part II: Departmental Application Procedures
Part I: Arrange to have the following documents sent to:
Office of Student Records
Texas Woman’s University
P.O. Box 425649
Denton, TX 76204-5649
- The ApplyTexas Application: Applicants, at all levels must use this system to apply to all Texas public universities. Submit a graduate admissions application online at www.applytexas.org (NOTE: A nonrefundable application fee of $50 will be required of each new applicant. The fee is $75 for international students).
- Official Transcripts: Submit official transcript from each accredited college or university attended (no copies accepted). Even though coursework from all institutions may be reflected on one transcript, TWU’s Office of Student Records requires individual transcripts from each university attended.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores: Arrange to have your GRE report sent directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS; www.ets.org/gre/). When completing ETS’s Score Report Form, you will need to know TWU’s institutional code, which is 6826.
Visit the Office of Student Records website at: http://www.twu.edu/admissions/graduate/ for additional details.
Part II: Collect and submit the following documents in ONE envelope, to:
Dr. Claudia Porras-Pyland
Counseling Psychology Master’s Program Admissions Coordinator
Department of Psychology & Philosophy
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425470
Denton, Texas 76204-5470
- Counseling Psychology Master's Program Application: Complete, print, and submit a hard copy of the Application.
- Counseling Psychology Master's Program Curriculum Vita (CV): Use the Vita Template to organize your academic, professional, scholarship, and service experiences. You will need to print and submit a hard copy of your CV.
- Letters of Recommendation: Submit three letters of recommendation from academic or professional references. Letters should be written on institutional or organizational letterhead. Each must be individually sealed with the recommender’s signature written across the flap.
- Unofficial Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores: Submit a copy of your most recent GRE scores.
- Essays: Respond to the following five questions. Each response should NOT exceed 250 words in length.
- What incident or major life-event most influenced your desire to pursue an advanced degree in counseling psychology?
- Identify and discuss a specific cultural group to whom you think it would be difficult for you to provide counseling or psychological services.
- How would you assess your fit for this program?
- Describe your anticipated career trajectory (i.e., where do you see yourself one year, 10 years, and 20 years after completing your degree)?
- What are your major research interests?
- Transcripts: Submit a transcript from each accredited college or university attended (unofficial or photocopied transcripts are acceptable).
Visit the Counseling Psychology Programs website at: http://www.twu.edu/psychology-philosophy/grad-counseling-psychology.asp for additional details about the graduate programs.
Application Deadline: Our application deadline is February 1. All application materials must be received by both the Office of Student Records and the Department of Psychology & Philosophy by the specified deadline. Please note that it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all materials are received by February 1. Applicants are encouraged to confirm receipt of their materials by contacting The Office of Student Records at 940-898-3076 or Dr. Porras, in The Department of Psychology & Philosophy, at 940-898-2312.
International Student Applicants: International applicants are encouraged to apply and should check admissions requirements at http://www.twu.edu/admissions/international/ or contact the Office of Student Records at 940-898-3076.
On-Campus Interviews: On-campus interviews are required. The Admissions Coordinator, Dr. Porras-Pyland, will contact those applicants we invite to interview. On-campus interviews will be held on Friday, March 10, 2017.
Accepting an Offer: Should you decide to accept our offer, your reply, in writing, must be received on or before April 15, pursuant with the policy of the American Psychological Association. Submit confirmation of your acceptance to Dr. Porras-Pyland via: e-mail (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (940-898-2301), or mail (Dr. Claudia Porras-Pyland, Counseling Psychology Master’s Program Admissions Coordinator, Department of Psychology & Philosophy, Texas Woman's University, P.O. Box 425470, Denton, Texas 76204-5470).
page last updated 9/29/2016 12:45 PM