PSY 4953 Cooperative Education in Psychology
Students may take either PSY 4953 Cooperative Education or PSY 4763 Early Field Experiences in Psychology.
- This course requires students to make application one semester BEFORE they plan to take the course. All placements are subject to the approval of the supervising professor. Please click on the links below or see bulletin board on 7th floor CFO for deadlines and information.
- Each student will complete a minimum of 60 volunteer hours outside of class meetings at a psychologically-oriented agency.
- Each student must have an overall minimum GPA of 3.0 in order to enroll in the PSY 4953 class.
Qualifications and Requirements
PSY 4953 Cooperative Education (Co-op) is offered through the Department of Psychology in conjunction with the Cooperative Education Office of the TWU Career Services Center. Co-op is intended for students who are currently employed in a psychology-oriented job or who plan to obtain a multiple semester such job while they are still a student.
- Students are required to work at least 20 hours/wk for 3 hours of credit (200 clock hours per semester) or 40 hours per week for 6 hours of credit (400 clock hours per semester). All placements must be approved by the Psychology Department Cooperative Education Faculty Advisor, Dr. Asbury.
- Students must be of Junior or Senior standing
- Students must have completed a minimum of 12 hours in psychology
- Students must have a minimum of 3.0 cumulative and 3.0 psychology GPA.
- Students must complete all steps to register at least 2 weeks prior to the end of the preceding semester in which they plan to enroll in Co-op. (e.g., if a student plans a spring coop, he/she must complete registration before the fall semester ends.
Steps to Registration for Students Who Are Already Employed
- The semester before you plan to register, meet with Dr. Asbury to discuss your job and employment responsibilities to ensure a match and that learning objectives can be created.
- If your job is approved by Dr. Asbury, you must meet with the Career Services Cooperative Education Coordinator, Sue Greenwood (940-898-2952 or SGreenwood@twu.edu ).
- Sue Greenwood has several requirements that MUST be completed in order to be approved for co-op. These requirements are listed online at the Career Services Getting Started page. Please carefully review these requirements and clarify any questions with Sue. Additional information can be found at the Career Services Students page.
- Once the above steps are completed, you may obtain the course code from Dr. Asbury to register for the class.
Steps to Registration for students Seeking Employment
Sue Greenwood can assist you in finding internship and cooperative education opportunities in all semesters. While it is ultimately your responsibility to find a position, Sue is happy to assist with your résumé, interviewing techniques, application issues, etc. Once you have secured a job, follow steps 1-4 above.
- All assignments are due to Sue Greenwood and must be turned in on time.
- At the end of the semester, a page summarizing your experience is due to Dr. Asbury.
- You will be required to attend three or four mandatory meetings with Dr. Asbury and your classmates throughout the semester. The meeting times will be determined approximately 1 month before the beginning of the semester. You will be given (via e-mail) a syllabus and the list of meeting times. The syllabus will contain detailed information about the course requirements.
Contact Dr. Asbury at email@example.com
page last updated 5/13/2013 8:39 AM