Graduate Eligibility for Internship (Probationary Certificate)
Candidates seeking approval for the Graduate Internship - Master of Arts in Teaching or Post-Baccalaureate - must complete the Graduate Application for Internship and submit the following to the College of Professional Education’s Professional Development Center in Stoddard Hall, Room 202:
- Letter confirming student’s admission into Texas Woman's University’s Graduate School
- Unofficial Degree Plan or a copy of Deficiency Plan for non-MAT students
- Demonstrated competence in the content area through success on the corresponding TExES (ExCET) examination. Applicants seeking certification in a secondary field for which a test is not available must complete a minimum of 24 semester credit hours in the content area.
- Completion of 13 credit hours of pedagogy courses: EDUC 5113, EDUC 5123, EDUC 5131, EDUC 5133 and EDUC 5143 with a grade of “B” or better.
- A minimum 2.75 overall grade point average*
Once a candidate’s eligibility is confirmed, the Professional Development Center will provide the candidate with:
- Statement of Eligibility for Internship (bottom part must be completed by employing school District)
- Yellow Internship Contract forms (two separate identical forms). One is kept with the employing school, and the second form is returned to the TWU Professional Development Center.
- Advisor Recommendation Form certifying student’s eligibility for Professional Teaching Internship
- Letter certifying that the student is eligible to serve as the “teacher-of-record” under the No Child Left Behind Act on a one-year professional teaching internship
Once the candidate receives an offer of employment from an accredited public or private school, he/she must:
- Complete Application for Probationary Certificate for internship on-line at http://tea.texas.gov/
- Complete Fingerprinting Application for national criminal history check. (Texas Education Agency’s State Board for Educator Certification)
- Return the completed Statement of Eligibility for Internship and a completed Internship Contract to the TWU Professional Development Center to verify employment as the “teacher-of-record” in certification area.
- Register for EDUC 5936, Internship in Teaching, for each of two semesters
For Information Contact
Professional Development Center
College of Professional Education
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425769
Denton, TX 76204-5769
Telephone: 940-898-2223 Fax: 940-898-2209
* MAT students must have a 3.0 overall GPA.
page last updated 7/27/2016 4:29 PM