• Completed online application to Texas Woman’s University Graduate School
• Completed School of Occupational Therapy Application and Essay
• Baccalaureate degree completed by time of enrollment
• Overall grade point average of 3.0 calculated on last 60 credit hours before completion of baccalaureate degree or overall grade point average of 3.0 on 12 graduate credit hours. *Please note that undergraduate courses completed after the bachelor’s degree are not considered as part of undergraduate grade point average.
• Completed Prerequisites Report – All prerequisite courses must be completed the December before program entry. Applications received by October 15th must include a plan to complete all prerequisite courses by the end of December. Grades received from courses taken must be submitted to the School of Occupational Therapy by January 6. Unofficial grades are acceptable for this submission but must be followed up with an official transcript for acceptance into the program.
Mathematics - Elementary Statistics
Biological Sciences - Anatomy & Physiology I & Anatomy & Physiology II
Behavioral Sciences - Developmental Psychology & Abnormal Psychology
• Overall grade point average of 3.0 on prerequisite courses completed for the MOT program and no grade below a C.
• MOT Applicant Clinical Observation Form completed by one licensed occupational therapist who can document a minimum of 20 contact hours of supervised observation with that individual therapist.
• MOT Applicant Academic or Professional Reference Form to be completed by an individual who can best attest to your readiness for graduate level work. Reference from a college/university faculty member under whom the applicant has completed a course of study is preferred; however a professional reference from an employer or supervisor will receive equal consideration.
• International students:
Must submit documentation of all coursework completed outside the United States to the TWU Office of International Education for review. External review is not required.
Students for whom English is not the primary language of their home country, must satisfy the university’s minimum TOEFL score (see www.twu.edu). International students may contact the Office of International Education directly at 940-898-3048 for more details.
• The Master of Occupational Therapy Admissions Committee reviews all complete application packets.
• Students are recommended for acceptance on the basis of academic proficiency, recommendation ratings, application and essay reviews. All applicants are notified in writing as to acceptance status.
IF ACCEPTED INTO THE MOT PROGRAM PROOF OF IMMUNIZATION RECORD, A BACKGROUND CHECK, AND A DRUG SCREEN WILL BE REQUIRED, AND MAY BE REPEATED BEFORE FIELDWORK.
Graduates of the program will be eligible to sit for the National Certification Examination for the Occupational Therapist administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). After successful completion of this exam, the individual will be an occupational therapist, registered (OTR). In addition most states require licensure in order to practice. Note: Students are advised that NBCOT may deny an individual's application to take the exam if he or she has a criminal felony conviction. The School of OT recommends that students with a felony conviction contact NBCOT for an "early determination review".
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATION
Step 1: Apply to the Graduate School at Texas Woman’s University
Navigate online www.twu.edu/admissions/ to begin the process. Applications will not be processed by the School of Occupational Therapy without Graduate School application.
Step 2: Request official transcripts sent to TWU from institutions of higher education attended. Be certain to include all post-secondary colleges/universities attended. Missing transcripts may delay or prevent processing of your application.
Request transcripts sent to : Texas Woman's University
|Office of Admissions Processing|
|PO Box 425649|
|Denton, TX 76204|
|Overnight or return receipt mail can be sent to:|
|304 Administration Drive in Denton, TX|
Step 4: Complete the Prerequisites Report - All prerequisites must be completed the December before program entry. For example, applications received by October 15 must include a plan to complete all prerequisite courses by December. Grades received from courses taken must be submitted to the School of Occupational Therapy by January 6. Unofficial grades are acceptable for this submission but must be followed up with an official transcript for acceptance into the program.
Step 5: Complete 20 volunteer hours under the supervision of one Occupational Therapist - Clinical Observation Form
Contact an occupational therapist and arrange for 20 hours of observation of occupational therapy practice under his or her supervision. Present the occupational therapist with the MOT Applicant Clinical Observation Form and an envelope. You must submit the completed form, sealed in a signed envelope, along with the rest of your application packet. Note - The School of Occupational Therapy does not refer applicants to specific clinical sites or therapists for observation hours. This choice is the responsibility of the applicant. Typically occupational therapy practitioners are glad to provide this service to persons interested in joining the profession.
Step 6: Obtain a recommendation from a college/university instructor or an employer/supervisor - MOT Applicant Academic or Professional Reference Form
A reference from an individual who can best attest to your readiness for graduate level work. A college/university faculty member under whom the applicant has completed a course of study is preferred. However a professional reference from an employer or supervisor will receive equal consideration. Contact a college/university instructor under whom you have completed at least 1 course for college credit or an employer/supervisor who can best attest to your readiness for graduate level work. Present the reference with the MOT Applicant Academic or Professional Reference Form and an envelope. You will submit the completed form, sealed in a signed envelope, along with the rest of your application packet.
Step 7: Mail your application packet
Place all application materials (listed below) in a 9” x 12” envelope:
- Master of Occupational Therapy Application and Essay
- Prerequisites Report
- Sealed & signed envelope containing the completed MOT Applicant Clinical Observation Form
- Sealed & signed envelope containing the completed MOT Applicant Academic/Professional Reference Form
Mail to: Texas Woman’s University
School of Occupational Therapy
PO Box 425648
Denton, TX 76204-5648
page last updated 1/28/2015 10:54 AM