skip to content

Dietetics Announcement

Effective June 1, 2015, admission to the undergraduate Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) is by application only. Applications are due October 15 of each fall semester. Prior to submitting an application, students must complete all the 1000 and 2000 level degree program courses. Details of the application process will be outlined in the 2015-2016 Undergraduate Catalog available in May 2015.

BS in Nutrition: Emphasis in Dietetics

TWU undergraduates who major in Nutrition: Emphasis in Dietetics are prepared for careers in clinical dietetics, community nutrition, foodsystems administration, and other areas of dietetics. They take courses in nutrition, foodsystems administration, science, business, food science, nutrition education and counseling and research. These courses satisfy the Didactic Program in Nutrition and Dietetics (DPD) requirements. 

What should be my major?

In the Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, there are two majors plus emphasis areas offered at the undergraduate level:

  • BS in Nutrition: Emphasis in Dietetics includes the Didactic Program in Nutrition and Dietetics (DP) courses that prepare a student to become a registered dietitian.
  • BS in Nutrition: Emphasis in Nutritional Sciences has more sciences courses and is designed for students who plan to enter a professional program, such as medicine or physical therapy, or earn an advanced degree in a scientific field.
  • BS in Nutrition: Emphasis in Wellness addresses the unmet needs in the health care field for individuals interested in serving as health educators with expertise that incorporates knowledge and skills within nutrition, physical activity, and health promotion. 
  • BS in Food and Nutrition in Business and Industry is for students who desire careers with food manufacturers, distributors, or other business or foodservice organization.  

What do I need to do to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist?

You need to complete a BS in Nutrition: Emphasis in Dietetics, receive a DP Verification Statement of Completion, complete a supervised Dietetic Internship, and pass the national registration exam for dietetics.

For step-by-step instructions on how to become an RD, see page 6 of the DP Handbook.

Can I transfer hours from another school?

Yes. Courses at 1000 or 2000 level can be taken at a community college for up to 84 hours of credit. An unlimited number of hours may be transferred from a 4-year university, but 30 out of the last 36 hours must be taken at TWU. The Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences has transfer agreements with Collin County Community College, Dallas County Community College, Tarrant County Community College, and the Art Institute of Dallas.

What is a full course load?

Twelve to fifteen semester credit hours is considered a normal load for undergraduates.

How many hours do I need to graduate?

120 hours or more, depending on your major and degree plan.

When and how do I file a degree plan for graduation?

A DARS audit should be filed during the second semester of your junior year and no later than one year before graduation. It will then go to the Registrar's Office. You will receive a letter stating whether you meet requirements for graduation.

How and when do I apply for graduation?

Obtain a form from the Registrar’s Office and file it early in the semester you plan to graduate. Deadline is usually within the first week of the semester.

How do I obtain a Didactic Program in Nutrition and Dietetics (DP) Verification Statement of Completion?

Students who meet the grade requirements for DP and complete the BS in Nutrition: Emphasis in Dietetics are eligible to receive a DP Verification Statement of Completion. Just prior to graduation, the student should fill out the appropriate form which can be obtained from the departmental secretary in the NFS office. Students who already have a Bachelor's degree in Nutrition or another field should check with the DP program director at TWU on what additional courses are required.

If I receive a low grade for a course, is there any way I can raise it?

Yes, you can register for the course another semester and repeat the work. If you receive a higher grade, it will automatically replace the earlier grade for purposes of calculating the GPA.

page last updated 5/20/2015 10:10 AM